Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sick to myself....

Old 10-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sick to myself....

did you happen to hear him go down by chance, if ya did walk in that direction and comb that area back and forth.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Im in Grundy county near Morris. I went out for 4 more hours this morning. Couldnt find a drop. Did find the tracks that I thought were his running through the field. Once they got back to another part of the woodsthat was it. Did grid searching in the thickest stuff around and followed the creek that runs through on both sides. Trying to get phone calls into the neighbors to see if I can get permission to do a search on their land. It may be tough I have heard they are not to friendly. Wish me luck. Also heard a bunch of crows this morning and went to their area. They were all in a tree so I searched the area and nothing. Sounded like a feeding frenzy to me.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If those crows are still in that area, the deer is there. Sit back and watch where they are flying down at.

I shot a small doe in the morning on the first day here in PA. I gutted it and hung it in a tree and went back to hunting. In about an hour, the crows and turkey buzzards found the gut pile. They made a heck of a racket.

If those crows are hanging out in one spot, they found something that keeps them there.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have a dog, get one. If you can't get one, borrow one. Next time you shoot a deer, and you're able to find it. Leave it there and go get your dog. Take him to where you shot the deer and teach him to use his nose. Any healthy dog can track, you don't need a blood hound. I have an Australian Cattle Dog (Buddy) and he is great at finding dead deer. I'm even thinking of using him to track live deer this year during firearms season. If your dog is having trouble understanding what you want him/her to do, try rubbing a glove over the glands of the deer and then put it in a zip lock bag before you get your dog. Let him smell the glove and slowly lead him to the deer. Praise him for finding it- vigorously! I love my dog very much, and this is now one of my favorite parts of the hunt. I even reward them with a small piece of meat from the animal, but too much makes my dog sick.
Good luck!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

A high shot usually results in very little blood trail because the body cavity has plenty of time to fill up with blood first. Plus since the arrow was still in him, you are plugging up the hole(s) with arrow, this makes a bad situation even worse.

I shot an 8-point high in the lungs with a 30'06 and it took off at a dead run for 150 yards, found it piled up. No blood until near where it fell. I thought I missed until I found some hair. And that was with a high powered rifle.

The last deer I tracked did 2 90 degree turns and ended up running directly opposite the way he started.

Like others told you, nothing left to do but tedious searching.Let us know how it ends up.

-c_str()
Old 10-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

johnst43...these things will happen..yea..its sucks...You have got goodtips here...maybe heeze still breathing...you put in the time to find him..thats all we can ask of you quite frankly...good luck
You still have your tag...so get back up in that stand..he may pass by again
Old 10-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck finding him but maybe next time you should think about not hunting in the rain. Blood washes away and then how do you track.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Keep looking - that deer is dead. I think at this point birds will be the only way to find him.