Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Boots

Old 10-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Boots

ORIGINAL: r33h

how much does a pair run??
LaCrosse Alpha Burlys 800 gramswere $99 at Academy Sports which was the cheapest price I could find them for online plus I got to try them on.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 AM

As far as rubber boots. I cant stand the thickness of an insulated boot. I have uninsulated lacross and love em. Thats just what I prefer I wear them all hunting season, (except when the get water in them) I used to have some rocky gortex slip on I liked those
Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a pair of the Pronghorns, but I don't think they're 1000 gram. I thought they were 600 or 800. I left them in NY last trip so I can't look. They're really comfortable. I wear rubber when I'm into more scent control but I wear the Danners when I'm in to more foot enjoyment. I really don't consider them a real cold weather boot. I have another pair for that.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:48 AM

Hey, thanks for the input. My idea would boot would of course be 18" rubber for scent control but cannot get a boot to fit my calves. Tryed all with gusset uppers as the big boy burlys and a pair of redhad at bass pro that was both gusset and zipped to no avail. I wear rubber sole pac boots in the early season but not to comfortable. I have a pair of Rocky Bear Claw 2's with 1000gr thinsulate that have owned for 5 years or so. Great boot, wear for deer, rabbit, and worn on 2 trips to Wyoming on Muley and Pronghorn hunts. I have heard about Danner boots from several people and would welcome the lighter weight over the Bear Claws. Again thanks for the input.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:14 AM

I just recently purchased uninsulated Danner Pronghorns and they are the best boots I have owned. Total comfort, total waterproof and great grip.

Kent
Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I own a pair of the Danners Pronghorn but they are only 800 grams. I have owned Rocky, LaCrosse, and a few other cheaper pairs and Danners are by far the best that I have owned. They are extremely comfortable and durable. As davidmil stated, they are by no means a COLD weather boot though. I will not by another brand of boot based on my experience that I as well as a couple of friends have had with Danner.

My only suggestion is stay away from Rocky. They are basically a one season boot if you are lucky. At least that has been my experience. I don't want to offend the Rocky faithful but spend the extra $40-50 and get a boot that will last you 4,5,or even more seasons.