Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do

Old 10-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default What to do

Here's the situation. There's land that my dad and myself have been hunting for 13 years. It borders this posted property that our neighbor up the road owns. About 5 years ago this other family moved in and started hunting this land as well. It's public property so there's no authority or maybe not even reason for us to throw them off. Within this time every stand that was placed on this property has been ripped down or stolen. Coinsidently (sp?) after all of our stands were ripped down, theres was placed and have ben there ever since. Now in this 5 years a quad trail has emerged on this property, zillions of trees have spray paint on them for whatever reason I don't know, I've had drippers, cams, and even bow hangers taken from this area ( yes, even $2 bow hangers) and every year I find deer dead that have not been recovered, and not to mention the year I almost had to fight the family for trying to take my deer. So this afternoon I decide to do a little squirrel hunting in the afternoon before my evening bowhunt. I say squirrel hunting, but it usually turns into a scouting trip. Well I stumble across yet another of there 200 stands on this 93 acre property and the guys cutting down frickin trees at 1 in the afternoon in this spot that I ALREADY have a stand in. Despite how bad this pissed me off, I said whats up to him. Nothing in response, not a nod, hey, go screw yourself, nothing, so I keep on walking. Today,I find yet another dead deer not recovered thats on MY porperty rotting. Now, I guess my question is, should I try to screw these guys up? Should I be an a$$ and set up right in the middle of their stands? Should I forget about it since I don't own it? I mean, they're basically trying to push everyone out of this spot by hanging stands so close together and stealing our stuff and ripping down other stands. They're obviously not trying to be an "ethical" hunter. I know I shouldn't stoop to their level, but this whole situation has had me on edge since all of this has began. It's getting harder and harder to bite my tongue. I know theres some sort of law about building permanent stands and cutting down treeson public property, but I'm not sure what. I would lease it if I could afford it and kick them off, but I can't afford it. What would you do?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What to do

If there is ever a time to get DNR involved it's now!

Quit hunting with permenant stands. Hunt portable. Never leave anything behind!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to do

If they are breaking any laws I would report them to the authorities. Don't take it into your own hands. That can only lead to trouble, and you may get turned in yourself.