Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too windy for tree stand?

Old 10-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Too windy for tree stand?

I just made my reservations at the motel for Fri (Hunting Fri and Saturday). Friday is supposed to be raining and windy...forecast calls for 22 mph winds. Is 22mph winds toogusty for a tree stand? What do you all think?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Too windy for tree stand?

That's up there. I guess it would depend on your stand, the tree and how comfortable you are in trees. There are some trees I would and some I would not do this in.
Remember too that although the weather may call for 22 mph gusts, often times it's not that windy back in the timber. Those readings are taken from the tops of buildings in the city, not in a thick timber area. Many times when it seems really windy in town, it's pretty calm at my hunting site.
Good Luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would go for it, but make sure your tree is sturdy, not some little 8 incher. Last Thursday it was real windy here and I went out. Saw a doe and a real nice buck back in the thick stuff. He just didn't come my way.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

If it's gust up to 22 you should be alright. Deer movement will be down though. The wind gets them spooky and they find a hole to crawl in. At least they do here. You go some place like out west where the wind blows more in those open areas it doesn't bother them as much. Remember in the early AM it should be down and then again the last hour or two before dark it'll start to lay low and it becomes a great witching hour for deer movement. You won't get them sitting at home. Try to find some more protected spots, like the downwind side of a hill or thick pines or something like that.