Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Land Laws/Customs

Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Land Laws/Customs

I noticed in a recent post that there are different laws and customs for the use of private land for hunting in various parts of the country. For example, I understand that in Illinois the hunter is required to obtain permission from the land owner before hunting on his land.

In PA there is no blanket requirement that a hunter obtain the landowner's permission. The landowner may choose to post his land as "no hunting" or "no trespassing"; he may also choose to restrict hunting such as "bowhunting only" or "hunting by permission only". In these cases, the landowner's requirements must be observed. Setting foot on property that is posted "no trespassing" is immediately breaking the law.

However, if the land is not posted, only the "law" of courtesy is involved. If you pass within sight of the landowner's home, for example, common courtesy suggests that you should first knock on his door and ask permission. If you pass a farmer working his fields, courtesy requires that you identify yourself. Beyond courtesy, you are permitted to hunt without the necessity of asking permission.

Of course, the landowner retains the right to control his property even if he does not post it. For example, it is not a violation of law to set foot on unposted land, but if the landowner is displeased with your presence on his property he may order you to leave at any time: failure to leave immediately then becomes trespass.

I own 73 acres in rural PA. The land is open to public hunting and I do not expect or require anyone to ask permission before they hunt on it. Of course I expect them to obey the game laws and pack out their trash. I expect them to excercise consideration for my hunting as I would for theirs. If I meet them in the woods, I may ask them who they are and introduce myself. However, I would not expect them to track down my phone number and ask my permission before hunting, especially as I do not live on the property.

This arrangement is common in the areas that I hunt. There is one neighbor near my property who posts her property and requires potential hunters to obtain permission. The rest of the properties are unposted like mine. Typically, I don't need to concern myself with property lines: I simply need to treat other people and property the way I would like to be treated. It is an old system, but it generally works here.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Land Laws/Customs

It's the same way here in NH Rick. If a landowner here keeps his land openfor people to hunton,the landownercan get adiscount on his property taxes.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

In West Virginia you are supposed to obtain written permission from the land owner to hunt. I never have. It's more like I stop in a few weeks before the season and we talk about stuff like his health and what deer he's seen, whats changed on his property and such. Then he always tells me I'm getting "heavier" as he puts it. After an hour or so of catching up I head out to scoutand he goes about his business.Before I leavehe tells me if I don't kill more deer up there I'll be heading off the hill with lead in my butt. Thats all the permission I need.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really like your style Rick. Its folks like you that give thoes people that do not have the acess to private land the chance to enjoy themselves and the sport we all love. Thank You. You are a very good man. You give hunters a very good name.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

In Texas a landowner can sign up to include his land in a special public hunting program. Hunters buy a blanket permit for this private land and recieve a map from TPWD showing all the land that's available in the program.

For all other private land, huntingwithout written permission from the landowner is a felony.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:05 PM

In Arkansas, if land is clearly " legally " posted, anyone hunting that land must have written permission from the land owner. That permission must include, the person or people hunting, the location of allowed land, the dates allow on the property, and the land owners name, address, and phone #. Everything has to be specific. If you are a guest of the hunters, and your name was not on the owners list, if you get caught you get a fine. But if the land is not clearly posted, which includes paint and signs, then it is considered open for public use, unless it is in a Wildlife Management Area ( WMA ),or Corp of Engineers area. But also as a courtsey, " most people " will approach the land owner for permission, even when unposted, if the land to be hunted borders the land owners home site in any way.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:26 PM

In Massachusetts, it depends upon the town or "city" that you are hunting in. Some towns don't require permission at all if land isn't properly posted, some towns require permisssion but not written and some towns require written permission to hunt any private land.

In my home town(s) it is much the same as Rick describes, and I kinda like it that way. The downside is that the "easily" huntable parcels get a lot of pressure, but the upside is that as long as everyone behaves courteously, there is really "room for all" (which is the Biblical meaning of my home town's name, "Rehoboth")

Old 10-18-2006, 03:32 PM

Thats cool Trembow, I like it.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:49 PM

My dad just turned 80 andis a foxhunter in the old rural southern tradition, and has been all his life,.........which means he's not one of thoseguys in red jackets on horses chaseing a pack of hounds that's chaseing a fox.....but one of a half dozen guys that will meet at dusk, each bringing a half dozen fox hounds. They'll sit around afire and listen to the hounds run the fox (you can tell which dog is in the lead by their "tongue" and tell different dogs apart and they almost never catch the fox, he says the fox likes it as much as the hounds do....and a dog that won't run a deer is worth a couple of grand).....theysocilaizeand talk, trying to see who can tell the biggest lie, plus there's usually more than one bottle....I think it's the 19th century equivlent of watching NASCAR. [/align][/align]Anyway, he said foxhunting was a lot more popular back in the day, from the late 1800's and the first half of this century but started to wane in the 1950's and early 60's. One of theprimary reasons was that the mores changed, people started being territorial about their property lines and it drasticly reduced placees to foxhunt. Back in the 30's and 40's he said you could foxhunt over any mountain in the county where he grew up and no one would say a word to you.....these days he hunts inside a 1000 acre fenced property. We do have 300 million people in the country as of yesterday.........[/align]
Old 10-19-2006, 10:56 AM

Not sure what to do here. I'm from Illinois. On my property we have trails that my wife and kids use for riding horses and running. The main trail follows the perimeter of our property and this is used the most by my family. My wife had informed me that some stands have been set up along the property line. Most of them just over the line but one stand was on our property and had a salt lick next to it. Here in Illinois that is illegal.I have not been approached by anyone requesting permission.

My concern is that they may shoot into our trails where my wife and kids may be. I don't know who these guys are or whether they're ethical hunters. Since I have not been able to contact the hunters of these stands I have posted no hunting signs next to them. I have nothing against hunting I myself hunt my own property but my wife and kids know where my stands are and when I'm hunting. I let my other neighbor hunt my property and he calls me to tell me when and where he'll be.

I don't want to keep these guys from hunting I just want to make sure my wife and kids are safe. Plus I've heard too many stories about these yahoos from the city that come out to the country to hunt.

And no I'm not going to tell my wife and kids not to enjoy the trails and our property during October through January.

Quick Reply: Hunting Land Laws/Customs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.