Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Land Laws/Customs

Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 AM

Default RE: Hunting Land Laws/Customs

ORIGINAL: prostock

Not sure what to do here. I'm from Illinois. On my property we have trails that my wife and kids use for riding horses and running. The main trail follows the perimeter of our property and this is used the most by my family. My wife had informed me that some stands have been set up along the property line. Most of them just over the line but one stand was on our property and had a salt lick next to it. Here in Illinois that is illegal.I have not been approached by anyone requesting permission.

My concern is that they may shoot into our trails where my wife and kids may be. I don't know who these guys are or whether they're ethical hunters. Since I have not been able to contact the hunters of these stands I have posted no hunting signs next to them. I have nothing against hunting I myself hunt my own property but my wife and kids know where my stands are and when I'm hunting. I let my other neighbor hunt my property and he calls me to tell me when and where he'll be.

I don't want to keep these guys from hunting I just want to make sure my wife and kids are safe. Plus I've heard too many stories about these yahoos from the city that come out to the country to hunt.

And no I'm not going to tell my wife and kids not to enjoy the trails and our property during October through January.
Prostock: Make sure that your name and phone number are on your signs so your "neighbors" know who to contact, or better yet put up a few "equestrian" signs near your property perimiter.

A note attached to the base of the stands that were put on your property would be a good idea too. "Hi! In case you were wondering, you're on my property. Please move your stand away from the horse trails."

Actually, that brings to mind an obscure point of interest: In a court of law, it was determined that a person who had broken into a company and stolen information from one of their computers could not be prosecutied for the theft of the information because when he went to sign into the computer, the Windows operating system greeted him with the words "Welcome!" It was determined that this was considered an invitation to access the computer which threw out the companys claim to privacy on their own network.

So, if you do post a note on a stand or whatnot, don't start it with "Welcome!"
Old 10-19-2006, 11:33 AM

Thanks.
The equestrian signs sound like a good idea. Felt kinda wierd buying No Hunting signs while wearing a camo jacket.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

My state requires written permission to hunt/retrieve game from the landowner , if you don't have it on your person you're trespassing .
Old 10-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Spike

Man where im from if you aint go permission you might get shot!!Lol
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM

One other thing to consider is this lawsuit happy environment we all find ourselves living in, is that if someone is hunting on your property, with your knowledge, with or without your permission, you could be found neglegent if anything happened to them. They can claim that you knew they were there, even though they had not asked for rights, and you did not tell them to leave. That means that you accepted the responsibility for them andof their actions. And if they got hurt or hurt someone else, you could be in a bind.

Think I am kidding? Pick up a newspaper. And if you leave a note on their stand, that is evidence of your knowledge and approvial. I can't say I would ever let people I did not know, and who never came to me for tresspass rights or hunting rights, keep hunting on my land once I got wind of it. Friends, family, absolutely. Friends of friends and family , sure. Anyone else, people I don't know, better try to seek me out and get to know me. If you want on my land, I would think it would be the least you could and should do. And maybe a few chores too.