Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Pre rut
62.50%
Rut
30.36%
Post rut
1.79%
2nd rut
0%
(other)
5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Wich rut phase would you hunt?

Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wich rut phase would you hunt?

if you were going hunting for only a few weekndsin a row, and could choose any ONE timeto go, wich rut phase would you choose and why?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wich rut phase would you hunt?

Pre rut......

It just increases your chances. I like to sit in funnels during the pre-rut or areas where there are does. The bucks do alot of searching or chasing and let there gaurd down. During the full rut they are held up with the does and don't move alot.

If you have alot of open area though the main rut and be a good time to scope some out that have brought there doe into the open fense lines to keep them away from competition. Then do your spot and stalk, it's how I shot my biggest.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I said OTHER... because it's all the above for different reasons. It's all only a few weeks except for the second rut which would be my last choice. Pre rut they're wandering and receptive to the calls. They all want to find that first doe in heat. Rut they're chasing. Post rut they're trolling andlooking and freshening up scrapes they haven't used for a couple weeks.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely pre-rut. During the rut it's harder than heck to get the bucks off the does long enough to get a shot. Post rut, I rarely see any bucks, since they are hiding out and recooping.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed, Pre-rut. Peak rut has the bucks tight with does and unless he's bred her, he'll hand all day with her. Prerut has bucks roaming and looking.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also put "other"I love the pre-rut but the peck-rut itself is a very exciting time to be in the woods.And Last would be post-rut
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunting, I'd have to say pre-rut, because of the reasons already listed above. They are a little more predictable, and patternable. If I'm rifle or muzzleloader hunting, I'd rather be out there during the chasing phase of therut. Obviously the reason is because you've got more range and we all know that you're probability of seeing those mature bucks during daylight hours increases during this time.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea I think hunting the pre - rut is the most awesome time to be out with your bow and camera.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:18 PM

pre rut. it seems the big ones always buff up first and the smaller ones get back up does
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 PM

if i have a rifle in my hand im choosing the peak of the rut...but since this is a bowhunting forum...pre rut would be my best chance at a big deer because he wont be sprinting behind a doe

Quick Reply: Wich rut phase would you hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.