Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Every year
7.89%
Two years
2.63%
Three years
5.26%
Four Years
5.26%
Five years
5.26%
No real time frame - just when I want to.
50.00%
I still use my very first bow - less than 5 years
15.79%
I still use my very first bow - greater than 5 years
7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you buy a new bow?

Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 PM

Default How often do you buy a new bow?

How often do you try to be sure you buy a new bow?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How often do you buy a new bow?

I take it your thinking about a new bow?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:21 AM

I voted the last option. Not my "very first bow", my second actually...but I've had it for more than 5 years and see no real benefit to or 'upgrade' from a 310IBO that, at one time, I could pull 5 arrow out with one hand on a 40yard target. I've gotten a lil rusty in college.

It's a good ole Mathews Feathermax.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too darn expensive to keep buying them. Then there is that feel that would kill me if I lost it, and could not find in another bow.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

I've had my Mathews MQ1 for 9 years now and just can not make myself give it up.
If it aint broke don't fix it.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Last year was the first in five years that I bought a new bow, just had to have that Bowtech after shooting it. Before that I shoot a Golden Eagle
Old 10-18-2006, 06:04 AM

I haven't had to worry about it, this is only my 3rd year bowhunting. I did buy a new bow my second year, but only because some idiot broke into my garage at our old house and took both mine and my Husband's new Parker Mag. [:@]*one week before season opener mind you!*

I like what I am shooting now, and I couldn't care less if I have the most "up to date" product on the market. If it works, it works, no reason to change IMO. I'd rather spend my money on accessories, camo,and stands.

So,
Old 10-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ummm. I have a sickness of sorts. I have owned8 different bows that were mine personallysince January 2006. If you include all the bows I bought just to sell probably 30-40 total this year. I only have 4 now though. [8D]
Old 10-18-2006, 06:26 AM

I buy a new one when I want a new one most of the time. Usually it is about every 4 years or so for my compounds. But now that I have gotten back to shooting a recurve once again I have found that I buy a new recurve more often. I really like my Check-Mate Hunter II and don't see anything replacing that in the near future. The only upgrades I see doing to her may be an heavier (Hunting) and lighter (target) sets of limbs for her.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually buy a new one when something better comes along.

Around 1988, I got a hand-me-down recurve bow, some junk arrows and put a haybale at the top of the yard. You could probably catch the arrows coming out of that thing. I weighed about 32 pounds, so you can imagine. I played with it about every day anyway, and did manage to bag a rabbit and a tweety bird.

1990'ish, I got a hand-me-down Bear Whitetail Hunter. It might've been a Whitetail II. It was painfully slow and big and I wasn't very accurate with it. I could barely draw the blasted thing, but I managed. It fired Lincoln Logs and was quite a contraption. BUT, a lot of deer fell to the Bear Whitetail bow, and it has an integral part in the history of the compound bow as we know it. I still regret giving that bow away.

Around 1993, I saved up and got my first new bow,a plastic, round-wheeled PSE (metal cables) that spit arrows at about 200 fps at 60#. This was also my first exposure to the mechanical release. I got my first few deer with this bow.

In '97, I traded that off for a dual cam Pro Line that was a whole heap faster, shooting in the 250's. I had the New Wave, you guys that have been bowhunting for a while remember when that bow (or its cousin, the Riptide)was all the rage. This is, in my opinion, the bow that took compound archery to the next level. (or the High Country Supreme). I got a lot of deer with this bow, but it was big and over the next couple years, bows got a lot faster and a lot smaller, so I upgraded fairly quickly.

Sometime around '98, the Solo Cam was born, and they were a lot more hunter-friendly than my behemoth New Wave, so in 1999, I did some research and I bought what I thought (and still think) was the best one-cam hunting bow ever made, the Jennings Airmaster. With my hunting setup, I'm still shooting in the low 290's at 77#.

I haven't bought a bow since. The cam 1/2's have been out for a while, but I've played with them and found out that I wouldn't really gain much by buying a new bow.Besides, Idon't like switching bows. So, until something that's a whole lot better comes along, I'll be hanging on to the Jennings.

I do like theBowtech Allegiance, but I can't see spending that kind of money on a bow. I'll probably pick up a used '06 or'07 Allegiance sometime in the next couple years, because I truly believe it's a better hunting bow than the one I have.

So, I've upgraded bows after 2, 3,4, 2, and 7 years. That works out to every 3.6 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.