Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Work is interfering with my hunting

Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Work is interfering with my hunting

Starting this week we are working 4 hrs overtime per day 3 or 4 days a week. I leave home at 6:15 am and get home at 8:00 pm so no hunting during the week. Plus by getting home at 8:00 I have to fight my daughter for the computer. So I don't get to keep up with the goings on here. Just had to rant. Whooooo I feel better. At least I will have some extra spending money for more hunting toys.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Work is interfering with my hunting

I don't have a lot of sympathy for ya cause you have a dandy buck entered in the team contest score card. I'm still hunting for my first...

Seriously, with one under your belt, the money will be good. I work til 5:00, in the tree by 5:20 , not much time. I didn't even have my bow pulled up when a buck walked by me tonight.

Good news is, I'm off two weeks from Halloween on....!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya. Work and college have definantly took time from me hunting. I have a few days off in November where I will be able to get after them, and I can hunt on most weekends.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully it is only for a couple weeks. We are setting up 2 new machines. When we get that done, I hope back to normal.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

I know how you feel too my schedule is work 6-3 then school 5-8 then school all day then work 4-8 then school all day then work, so its like a mess so hunting during the week is shot i do have off on Sat, and Sunday so thats about the only time i get out. However, where we deer hunt is across the state so its hard, however im trying to get to some private lands around here, but its hard with all the hunters seeing the same deer that i see.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel your pain. I work second shift so I have not even had one evening hunt yet this season. I've only been out for 4 morning hunts since the opener. I have 1 doe in the freezer but I really would like to at least see a buck this year.

However, next week I go on a one week hunt in Illinois where it's all day ever day baby! After that, it's back to reality.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:42 AM

I can understand your pain but I have pretty sweet hours. I work 6am to 2 pm and am usually sitting in my stand by 3pm or so. Having a hunting spot close by also helps greatly. It would really kill me to only be able to hunt the days I take off or only on saturdays.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:00 AM

Don't feel too bad, it's part of life. I don't even work and I have the same types of problems! I have two kids at home, and also have another hunter in the same household to rotate available hunting time with. We have been open season for 3 weeks now and I've only gotten out 6 times. It seems like every single day I have the opportunity to go, the wind is blowing 20 mph or it's raining.

I'm so fed up with the weather in Indiana, I could just scream. Last year we had two entire weeks that the winds were over 15mph every single day, sometimes up to 40. I just got lucky and had a little button buck walk in front of my on one of the few days I had to hunt. This year I have noticed the deer are moving before and after daylight, so even when I'm out there, I hear them before shooting light, sometimes glimpse a silhoutte, but get no opportunity for a shot.

Hang in there, spend every moment you can out there... it will eventually pay off.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I am just glad you got your buck already. If you didn't we would have to find you a different job. You have to stick it to the man before they stick it to you.