Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubs? How many? Too many...

Old 10-17-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Rubs? How many? Too many...

I have a question for ya all. I recently ran across some new hunting ground here in Ohio. Now I live in northwestern Ohio, not alot of woods and not a whole lot of deer. But the woods I regularly hunt I always have maybe a dozen or so rubs on the whole property, two different woods and total about maybe forty acres of woods. Well on this new spot its kinda swampy and is thirty acres, half swamp/ cattails, and the other half woods and brush. My question is how many rubs does one buck make? I have two areas that has a crap load of rubs in say a twenty yard stretch! There is one spot that has four really nice rubs within six feet of each other! I bet there is 12 to 16 rubs in this one spot and about a dozen in the other not eighty yards away. Then there is still rubs spread out on the rest of the property. I also found two nice scrapes, but I thought it was early for this? So sorry for the length, but how many rubs per buck? Thanks everyone!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rubs? How many? Too many...

No idea how many rubs per buck, I suppose as many as he determines to make..lol

One thing I do know, I'd be hanging a stand.....quickly..lol
Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I am wondering the same thing-- there is a section of creek where I hunt that is about 400 yards long and there is seriously 100 rubs down this thing with 3 scrapes...been hunting 10 times and only seen three does...morning and night.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

No idea how many rubs per buck, I suppose as many as he determines to make..lol

One thing I do know, I'd be hanging a stand.....quickly..lol
Thanks Rob for trying, it's you vets that I was hoping to get a response from and can shed some light. My budget for this year is way over as it is! I bought a new ladder stand, cuddeback, and lots of little things. So a new ladder is out of the question, but I seen wal-mart had blinds on sale for 37 bucks a picked one up today. Like I say its new, just found it the other day and may not have much luck until next year depending on stand situation. The best part about the rubs is that they are in a major bottle neck. On one side is a pond and then about sixty yards away is a major railroad bed, sits up real high since this spot is low and swampy so the deer have to travel this spot. I found a dead tree with alot of branches around it and stuff and cleared a spot and set blind up there so it should blend in real good. And as tazman said I always felt like I over hunted my main spot, so it will be nice to be able to hunt two spots so the one can rest while at the other. Thanks guys for the replys.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that a mature buck can make upwards of 300+ rubs in a year.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

I believe that a mature buck can make upwards of 300+ rubs in a year.
That's really disheartening since I've only seen 3 small rubs on my entire 80 acres. I've also seen zero bucks while hunting in 4 outings.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know about that 300 number. I do know that all the bucks make them. I've watched everything from a button buck to the monster rub. I suppose the 300 is on. Like Rob said hunt the spot.
Good luck
Old 10-18-2006, 05:53 AM

I think it depends on how much woodland they have around them as well. We hunt MAYBE 5-6 wooded acres and we are already seeing rubs all over the dang place. Within 30 yards of my new stand there are about 15 of them... or more. Every time we turn around there are rubs. I also have a buddy stand put up right along the tree line, bordered by a small creek and every single year I have 4 scrapes lined up right in a row within 15 yards of each other right along the creek bank. Unfortunately, I have an apple tree that juts out and restricts my view of this area for shooting while I am in stand, but one of these days that sucker is going to walk right down the creekline to get to 'em and I'm gonna (hopefully) be there when he does.

If we took the time to trapse around the woods (don't like to stir it up), we would probably find 100+ rubs. If they have 40 acres, they have a ton more land to cover, and chances of you finding all of the rubs are impossible in the first place.

I'd say you have a good chance of seeing some bucks this year. We have, like,a 3:1 ratio does to bucks. Seems for every 3 deer we see, one is at least a button buck, usually at least a 5 pt. or more. In the ten years since my husband has been hunting that property (I hunted the last 3), we have killed 9 deer, 6 of which have been bucks. We both will shoot whatever walks in front of us, if it's a doe, we don't let her walk, so I guess then, most of what we see within range are bucks. We've had plenty of bruisers spotted, but they usually stay just out of range for us... or they are on the neigboring property that we don't have permission to hunt. We know they bed on our property, but they trail along the edges of the property line and do most of their chasing on the other property, within viewing distance.

Keep your eyes and ears open, I smell success for you this year.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Hotburn; If you need help coving the area just ask, I'll be glad to help you out. I'm just minutes away ! Sounds like you have a great setup. good luck !
Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

That would be hard to estimate. Bucks will share rubs. I have seen with my own eyes a small buck run the heck out of a tree and then not 5 min later a different buck rub on the same tree.I am not sure if you would call it share but they rubbed on the same tree. I would say a buck may have around 25 to 30 rubs in a season. I am going to looki this one up though now you got me thinking.

Quick Reply: Rubs? How many? Too many...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.