Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubs? How many? Too many...

Old 10-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rubs? How many? Too many...

All I know is that rub lines are typically done along a buck's travel route between bedding and feeding areas. So you definitely have a nice area to set up along. The BIG question that usually stumps us is "when is the buck traveling this route?" Because, as many have eluded to already in this thread, we hunt these areas several times and don't see a buck.

The key is to just keep hunting the area, remaining as scent free as possible, and getting in well before daybreak and leaving after it gets dark! You certainly don't want to get busted!!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 AM

I read somewhere that one buck can make from 6 to 324 rubs a year. Also deer rubbing early in the year means that it is a more dominant deer. However dont let the size of the tree fool you. Big deer rub Little trees too. But Little deer dont rub Big trees.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude, I would quit buying a ton of little stuff and invest in a climber. That way you don't needa new stand for every spot you want to hunt, and they are so easy to move throughout the year as the deer change patterns.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 AM

Conentrated--near his bedding area where he i sstaging before heading off. Rub lines are in between feeding and bedding areas. One buck can make a whole lot of rubs, but it is anindividual thing, and determined by how much competitioh he has for th edoes in the area--which is an indication of teh buck to doe ratio. A lot of does and few bucksequals few rubs--a balance in theratio means more rubs.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

HOLY CRAP! Set up and bag that monster!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say that a buck will rub as many trees as it wants to. What happens when it gets to number 324? Does it have to stop? I also have seen more than on buck hit a tree. My question is why do all of my rub lines head the same direction? They all head to the north west and none to the east. All I can figure is thatthey have a different route to go back to bed in the morning.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don`t know if there is such a thing as to many rubs? It always seem to me more the better!
I would stop
punching the key board and start hunting as soon as possible!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 AM

Makes a ton of sense Manuman, that's why we see soooo many bucks around our land, it's a crazy ratio that I don't exactly understand, but I don't complain either. My husband texted me about an hour ago from the stand and told me that one of our buddys who is sitting in his stand on the other side of the woods got busted by a 6pt about 8am this morning, and then he got busted by a doe 5 minutes later.... it's his first year bowhunting, I'm sure he was so excitedthat hewas making quick movments and got picked off.

We had to give him a hard time anyway, but that is how it works out there, so many bucks, not as many does.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many rubs would a rutting buck make if a rutting buck would make rubs?

Say that five times fast!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 AM

After a buck rubs 324 trees, He quits, and starts licking rocks. Now the key to finding the lickin' rocks is you look for the moss to be on the bottom side. If you find one of these rocks then you know, that a buck has officially stopped rubbing trees. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Man I dunno, thats just what I read somewhere. I have found 2 rubs this year so far. So Im a long way from telling

Quick Reply: Rubs? How many? Too many...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.