Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wanting to get into bowhunting and I need some bow help

Old 10-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Wanting to get into bowhunting and I need some bow help

Well howdy all, I'm planning to get a new box in the next 3 months since hopefully prices will be down and I'll have plenty of practice time so next year I can hopefully take my first deer with bow. Unfortunately I come from a pretty much hunting free family and have been outdoors crazy since little and have had to be self taught. I am just now starting to read up some on the subject and hate to miss some good hunting just b/c i cant use a bow. So on to the main question/s: I would really like a Hoyt but I'm on a budget preferably around or under $400. I thought of the option of high dollar bows being for sale after season at pawn shops, etc. Most people I know recommend PSE and Matthews b/c few want to spent Hoyt money. At the local proshop they are having a sale on all Hoyts and PSEs. I am however not super fond of the feel of the PSE bows. I'm not necessarily looking for super cutting edge technology, more reliability above all else. They have a Hoyt Mystic Intruder on sale for $189. Its older style realtree camo, 50-60lb, cant remember the rest of the specs on it. It has a good feel to me and definately would be a nice price if worth it. I havent got to get measured yet either but I am interested. Are these very reliable or a good value? I've heard *alot* of good on Fred Bear too and also seem very nicely priced. Any help on that Hoyt or recommendations?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Wanting to get into bowhunting and I need some bow help

There are many good brands and models of bows. If you have a good, reliable, full service archery shop in the area.....use them. If you also have a very good bowhunter friend who is experienced.......use his advice also. I mention using a good friend's advice because more than likely he has been around the block. In my opinion you are setting a good goal, there is no need to spend $600-$700 on your first bow. You can find a very good new bow for around $400 and less. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Only been using a bow for two years. Here's what I thinkI know. Brace hieght =form forgivness. Longer bows are more stable. Shorter bows are easier to move around in the stand. Heavier poundage isn't always better[cold days, sitting for a while].And it's a poor dentist that blames his toothbrush [or something like that]. I can't preach about price accept you should try to balance quality and affordability. Don't set your sites on a bow because it's the cheepest. I hope I didn't steer you wrong.

[/align]
Old 10-17-2006, 06:41 PM

Find a pro shop. Try a few different bows. If you like the Hoyt's then focus on trying a couple. Any of the Hoyts with the "tec" riser are outstanding.

After you find what you like, and the price may be a little heftier than you would want to pay, I highly suggest visiting archerytalk.com

Go to the "free auction" forum. Locate the Compound bow forum and take your time. Usually late winter/early spring, you can pick up the "shooter bows" from many of the sponsored shooters. I've done it myself and saved a TON of money. My last purchase was a Hoyt Ultratec, only 5 months old, perfect condition, new winners choice cables/string for 425.00. The bow listed in the local archery pro shop in my town for over 700.00 with the stock cables/string.

Good luck. Have fun finding what you like to shoot. Be patient. It'll pay off.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:13 PM

does anyone have any knowledge on that Hoyt I mentioned?