Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical dillema - what should I do?

Old 10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ethical dillema - what should I do?

This is our 2nd year hunting a particular 1/4 mile. The owner is a friend of distant family and we are still getting to know eachother. His Grandson visits the property often to fish and turkey hunt. Here is the problem. Last weekend we put up a tree stand in a new area of the property we hadn't scoped out much. While doing so we found wild pot. There's not a ton of it, but quite a bit. Appears to be growing wild (scattered about)but that doesn't mean it wasn't planted on purpose. My first reaction was to tell the owner. But then I thought...what if its the grandson's? I don't want to piss him off and then he fabricates some story about us andwe getkicked off the property. But then I thought, what if the owner finds it and suspects that we planted it there? Or what if its the owners? So, what should I do...? I'm leaning torwards telling him what we found but letting him know that what is on his property is his business and we won't interfere with it.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:32 PM

Default RE: Ethical dillema - what should I do?

Call in the police.

The owner can't fabricate a story about you.

If it is the grandson doing it without the grandparent's knowledge, they shouldn't get mad at you.

You can always find new land if it turns out to be the owner's pot.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd talk to the landowner. Let him know what you found. I wouldn't assume anything. m2c
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would definatly say something to the land owner. If its his then I would be finding somewhere else to hunt. Let the land owner deside what to do about it. But if its his then finding somewhere else to hunt is the best thing to do, in my opinion. I wouldnt think it would be his but who knows in this day and age. Good luck

P.S. Are you seeing the deer walking around stoned and with the munchies LOL.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd hunt over, deer love the stuff!!

Ok serious note I would tell the land owner

Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Yep tell the land owner without making any accusations. Not to sound like an "expert", but you can usually tell wild pot from planted pot. The planted marajuana will be bigger and have more seeds and buds on it. Now go out and find something to compare it with,HEHEHE

[/align]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

i would talk to the land owner and if any problems arise call the police
Old 10-17-2006, 02:01 PM

When I was hunting with IMB one of their guides said he ran across the same thing on one of their properties in Nebraska. A new property they just picked up and hadnt been scouted. The best thing you can do is call the police.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait for it to bud - and then smoke it!

Just kidding, I think I'd let the land owner know that you'd found it, and I wouldn't make any reference to his/her grandson. Who knows, maybe it belongs to a stranger who is making use of someone elses property?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:08 PM

Leave it alone as it is not on your land and keep tp your self as it could cause some serious relationship problems. Some of those guys who grow it setup booby traps so I would only monitor from afar and see what shows up. The Local Law uses trail cams and other survailance to catch growers here.

Or you could just take it home

Quick Reply: Ethical dillema - what should I do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.