Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical dillema - what should I do?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ethical dillema - what should I do?

Take it home!!!!!!

BTW, what's the ethical question? Should you let your friends know about your new stash?[8D]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think I can just not say anything to anyone - if the owner finds it he might suspect we planted it there. If you know what it looks like its not hard to see it. I doubt its his, he is over 70 years old, so if it is his he probably uses it for health reasons and doesn't deal. He's pretty wealthy so I doubt he needs to sell it for money. I think we'll let him know we found it and reassure him that whatever is on his property is his business and we are just happy for the opportunity to hunt his land. I'm not just up and walking away from this hunting land. Its excellent deer land and its the ONLY piece of private land we have to deer hunt.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 PM

Alright well where I am from in north central nebraska it grows wild and you see it all the time, I dont think I would worry about it its probly just wild stuff and no one has stumbled upon it yet, we always chop it down, or get it with the old mower tractor to try and get rid of it, boy will you have a head ache after that.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Pick it, dry it, and keep it for yourself.

Im surprised the deer havent eaten it. If its a bother, id pull it up. If a person planted it, what are they going to do, confront you?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the land is really good and you're worried about losing it over this dilema I'd move my stand and pretend I never saw it [8D][8D].

If it's a dime a dozen type of piece then I'd tell the landowner. Chances are if it was his, he wouldn't grant you permission in the first place to hunt where he was growing pot.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:37 PM

I would be inclined to let the land owner know what you found. Without pointing fingers, and tell him that youjust wanted to make him aware, and that you would let him deal with it.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:38 PM

PM me the address and I will make it go bye bye for you.... i'll be able to buy myself that new hoyt bow I always wanted!!!!!!!!!

my GRANDFATHER called me one day to come over and see what he had in the garden.... Turned out during turkey season a few years back he stumbled upon someone's pot garden in the woods. He actually took one of the plants home with half of it sticking out of the window going down the road!!!!!!!! He told my grandmother it was a nut tree LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is no joke. it grew to about 6' tall in the garden before my cousin cut it down and did whatever with it. but that is besides the point
Old 10-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

I personally don't see where the dilemma part comes into play here.
There are 2 things here from where your decision should come from.
1) Is it right? (legal)
2) Is it wrong? (illegal)

Too often people try to place shades of gray into the situation. If you saw it there I think it would be your responsibility to tell the landowner. He is allowing you to hunt his property and with that you have certain responsibilities to him for his kindness. You would be doing him a favor by letting him know about it. After all, when all is said and done........He is the one who is ultimately responsible for it being on his property.....guilty or not.

Tell him regardless of how it is going to serve your interests.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM

I would pull every plant up and leave it for dead and/or,I would burn it, but from what I've read that could have some adverse effects on you if your down wind
Old 10-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Play dumb, and HUNT period

Quick Reply: Ethical dillema - what should I do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.