Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coyote's ate good

Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote's ate good

Davidmil you hit the arrow in the noc on that one. It IS poaching. Where I hunt we have the agreement with ALL neighboring land owners that NO arrows, bullets or pellets will cross property lines on the way to the intended target. Now that being said we also have made sure everyone knows where all the buildings are. We also have permission to track ANY animal shot on OUR property that might travel to the neighbors. They also have permission to come on ours if they are tracking and the animal was shot on theirs.

Basically Joel you were poaching deer and are not happy that you were not able to recover it because they "didn't understand". Next time get permission first or keep the arrow in the quiver.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Talondale

ORIGINAL: PastorHunter

Let me add, I agree that it was poaching, and any bowhunter that takes a "60 yard" shot needs his bow taken away.
That's just slinging an arrow into the air and hoping it hits something.
It would have to be perfect conditions for me to take a 40 yard shot.
I live in Indiana and we have the same open land.
That's why we hunt the tree belts, and I've never taken a shot past about 25 yards.
Never needed to.
I agree with the first half of the statement but not the second half.

"any bowhunter that takes a "60 yard" shot needs his bow taken away."

Would that include Fred Bear? Saxton Pope? Art Young? Howard Hill?Chuck Adams? and many other "famous" archers? All of these men have shot animals way over 60 yards. Think before you make sweeping statements. If you can do it effectively and ethically I have no problem with it.
I agree. If you can make a killing shot, go for it.

I too live in Indiana, yet I practice for long shots. I can effectively AND accurately make a shot from 60 yds. I can do this because I practice ALL YEAR, not just before season, like some of the hunters that frequent the archery shop. I practice all year and I keep my bow tuned all year. It can be done.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 AM

Man, you need to reconsider your attitude towards the land and the public's opinion of hunters in general. There are thousands of hunters that post on this board on a daily basis, I think if every single member posted a comment, you would find no one who agrees with you.

I suggest you start following the rules if you generally enjoy hunting, the wrong person gets ahold of this information and you could lose your hunting license permanently (maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing). Why don't you call the local Conservation Officer and ask him his opinion.

I don't usually reply to topics like this, but c'mon man, this reflects on all of us! Even if the neighbors ended up giving you permission, you still didn't have permission from the land owner! If she wanted to, she could take you to the C.O. and she would win, I guarantee that.

My suggestion, find a local "Poachers Anonymous" group... [:'(]
Old 10-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holey Loose Cannon! Read all of his posts. They are all crazy. Bad shot decisions, losing deer, poaching, tresspassing,and all of this from a "veteran hunter". He would'nt like hunting around here. It would be awful hard to climb up a tree stand with a boot lodged in your arse.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Joel V

Okay, what everybody is not understanding is. I live in a small comuinuity where everybody is free to roam. I've lived on the East coast (NJ) and I know what everyone isthinking.Shooting a deer over someones fencerow where I live is not a big deal andno way is itpoaching. I'll get a thankyou most of time for taking a deer, that is not eating there crops. With a big thumbs upfor coyote's.

The guys in question were young20 somethings, mad cause I was sucessfull and they weren't. With it being there first timebow hunting witch they told me. Most likely they where out of towners.

Sorry everyone's mad but thats the facts in mid/Ill. Come on out and I'll show ya. And I didn't take a 60 yard shot it was 40 yrds. Seen thecarcass you could see the arrow wound. Even after the coyotes.
Come on Joel. You had your cell, as you called your buddy, so a call to the landowner to say you were tracking a wounded animal would have not take much effort, especially in your small community. Not to mention that shooting it in the first place was wrong.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 AM

I think that this guy has a misconstrued view of what hunting really is. Either that or a serious mental problem
Old 10-17-2006, 08:44 AM

In my small community, we respect each others property. As a fourth generation land owner, I would never go on a neighbors property (that has known my family for 50-60 years) to track without permission. I certainly would not want or appreciate someone tracking on me with out permission. What if they, or a family member is hunting there. Then you not only trespass and poach their animal, but you mess up their hunt. These days, it takes 2 seconds to make a phone call anywhere in the woods. Your kidding yourself if you think landowners don't care. I't a respect thing and shows maturity and ethics as a hunter. And, I think we all understand perfectly!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will give this to the poster:it may be that in his area they play loose with the rules. It doesn't make it legal, and it doesn't make it right, but it may be the prevailing attitude. I've hunted places where the older generation (think 50+ years) grew up roaming across everyone's land and no one thought wrong about it. Hunting wasn't so selfish oriented and farmers didn't have time to mess with hunting and didn't care if you hunted across their property as long as you shut the gate and didn't leave ruts. But those days are long gone for the most part.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:01 AM

In the process of getting permision, which wont be a problem at all "AT ALL" , and never was.

A poacher no Fing way, I'm not and frankly I can't stand um. I made a clean shot at 40 and had these jokers were screwing with me. It made it very diffucult to find a trail.

Goodluck toeverybody, cause you'll never know the people I know. So call me as what you want. But in no wayI'm I poaching deer for godsake.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Joel V...what you did is poaching. Wether it is the way of the woods there or not, it is not the way of the law. When you post things of this nature here on a public forum where anyone can view it, it makes usall look bad. I find that personally offensive and would appreciate it if you would just keep it to yourself if you are going to continue doing these types of things. Maybe you should try a Hunter's Education Course to learn the local laws and follow them. Laws are there to prevent conflicts and disagreements. Please use this experience and the advice of others here on this experience to learn. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes, but when you make the same mistake more than once you need to start asking yourself some questions.

Quick Reply: Coyote's ate good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.