Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Patterns

Old 10-16-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Deer Patterns

Hey everyone. I had a couple of questions that I was hoping the experts here could shed some light on.

First I know that a general rule of thumb is deer go up in the morning and down in the evening. However at my place they just kind of do whatever. Can't seem to pattern them at all. My question is: Would a lack of feed on the property contribute to this. We have no fields on the property and natural forage (i.e. acorns and such) is the main food supply.

Second question. I have a buck patterned down fairly well. How much do you think that pattern will change between now and the chasing phase of the rut. About 2-3 weeks away. There are does on this ridge to hold him there during the rut.

Thanks guys any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Patterns

This buck could move two miles away when the rut comes. It all depends.......but if he feals safe there he will return for the post rut and late season.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:01 PM

Default RE: Deer Patterns

Deer move mostly at dawn and dusk. Some times they move about dureing midday hours for several reasons. Hunting pressure, the moon, predators, the rut, all these can make them move when ever they need to. I have never heard the rule that they move up in the morning and down in the evening. How ever scent rises in the morning and goes down in the evening. Hot air rises, cool air drops.

That bucks pattern can change at any given time for numerous reasons. The time to kill a big buck is the first time you legally can. I would imagine his pattern is going to change pretty soon to. He's going to start hitting and makeing scrapes and rubs, and fighting other bucks more before the rut starts. Once that rut starts, who knows where he could be at. He might be 2 miles from where your hunting him now.