Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Iowa 8-point

Old 10-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default Iowa 8-point

I hunt a small property with mostly grass fields and tree lines running thru it, surrounded by corn fields. My treestand is in an area of trees that form a u-shape and I am in the middle of the bottom looking up hill.

I got to my stand at 4:30pm, it was fairly windy at that time. First thing I usually do is take a practice shot tomake sure nothing has moved on my setup.

At about 5:30 the wind had calmed down, andI notice a small six off to my left. He slowly moved behind me so I try to do some grunting to get him out in front of me. He hangs around behind me for about 20 minutes before he moves on. I have seen the same buck do this same pattern twice now so I planning my next hunt to move to my stand in the corner.

At 6:20I catch sight of a nice buck comingdown the hill in front of me heading to my left. I grunt trying to get him to turn, he puts his nose down and starts running toward the corner. Then a doe thatwas in the corner takes of running up the hill and the chase is on. They circle back down the hill running thru my shooting lanes and slowing down 20 yards later. The doe now heads into the woods on my right and the buck follows. I hit the grunt call and spray some deer scent hoping to cover any scent I might have. The buck stops and looks in my direction. I hit the grunt again, but now notice there is another buck off to my left about to walk thru myshooting lane. I am now in the middle of two decent bucks and they are looking at each other.The bigger of the two (the original buck) starts walking towards the other walks toward the other walking straight thru my shooting lane. He is now 20 yards and walking slowly so I didn't want totake any chances and let the arrow fly with him still walking. Hit a couple of inches back butgot complete pass thru.

I waited about 15 minutes got down found my arrow whichwas four inches from my practice arrow that I had taken earlier. Marked the spot and circled back to my truck so as to not spook him. Was walking back to my tree stand after a little wait and found him laying in the field 30 yards from my stand. Didn't have the fun of tracking him. He was an eight point with massive body size. Was very greatful to the owner of the property for going out this year and mowing the fields down and putting a crossing over the creek bed so I could drive all the way backto pick him up.

If I figure out how topost pics I willdo so. He wasmy biggest by far with a bow.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Spike

Default RE: Iowa 8-point

Hopefully the pictures shows up
Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice buck!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:12 PM

Nice Buck. It does have a large body.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Great looking buck, and an interesting story as well. That musta been a fun couple minutes. Nice job!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 PM

Congrats Nice Buck Good Body!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:57 PM

Beauty!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:37 PM

were from iowa you hunting?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well done that is a big bodied deer!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Spike

I hunt in Muscatine county.

Quick Reply: Iowa 8-point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.