Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Devastation...................and a little doe

Old 10-16-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Devastation...................and a little doe

A freak October storm has dumped a couple feet of heavy snow on us here and and with the leaves still on the trees the destruction was massive. Everyone was caught completely off guard because weathermen are useless. There are hundreds of thousands of people still without power (5 days later) and the melting snow is now flooding all the basements with powerless sump pumps.

I stayed up all night during the storm trying to save anything in my yard that I could. My shed, gazeebo, and morning room were destroyed as the 100 year old trees in my yard gave way to the storm. Standing in my yard at 4 am trying to save whatever I could under the glow of freakish lightning and transformers blowing up/catching fire is a surreal nightmare that I will never forget.

I gave up and went to sleep only to awake to disaster.......power lines covering my driveway, travel bans, hundreds of thousands of people without power and my snowblower 400 feet away in a crushed shed. My house has been like a shelter because I was lucky enough to be one of the first areas to regain power. I never knew so many people could sleep in one house. We sent a couple guys to PA with $5,000 to buy as many generators as they could and that has helped. Thank god for venison in the freezer and my wood burning stove.

People suck.

We have been through fights at gas stations and grocery stores, and now have scumbags posing as FEMA agents trying to scam people. Nice to see people band together in the face of adversity

I couldn't take it anymore and left yesterday to go climb a tree..........ANY tree. I went to 2 of my spots that I spent hours on hanging stands and trimming lanes only to find them destroyed.........one of the trees is laying on the ground with my stand still strapped to it. Needless to say my spirits were not boosted. I went back to the truck and got my climber and jumped up a tree.........at 5:00 a little doe walked out and I shot her at 20 yards. At least I can replenish the freezer.

Don't know how much (if any) more hunting I will do with all the clean up that needs to be done before winter hits. The damage is horrible and now the rapid melt is making it worse. The tree damage from this storm is awful........this area may not look the same for 20-30 years. At least I got up a tree once.

NOT the way I saw this season going........that is for sure.

I don't even know what we would have done without my 4x4 and wood stove. It was 45 degrees in my 72 year old mother in laws house by the time we got to her to bring her over.......she was bundled up in her winter jacket and about 5 pairs of pants just sitting there crying watching her basement fill with water.

This blows.

Things are starting to get back to something resembling normal but hundreds of thousands of people still have no power and the clean up hasn't even started.

Good Luck to everyone lucky enough to be hunting.............enjoy every minute you can in your stands.

I am aiming for at least a day or 2 during the rut just so I don't go insane.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:28 AM

Default RE: Devastation...................and a little doe

What's left of my gazeebo.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:29 AM

My poor target

Old 10-16-2006, 11:31 AM

My wife yelled at me for not smiling.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 AM

So I smiled for her.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atlasman,
I have really sorry to hear about the destruction to your home and community.I knew it was bad up there but I didn't have any sense of how bad.I wish you and your family and your community well in restoring your properties and your lives back to normal!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:33 AM

Woa....
Talk about devastation!
Good luck and may you recover from all your losses.
Nice doe by the way, shell be some good eatin!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:34 AM

My cheap old practice ladder stand weathered the storm

Old 10-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow man, I didn't realize you guys got hit so hard up there. best of luck getting things up and going again.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice doe

I know we do not see eye to eye, but if you need anything let us know. We are all still on the same team!!

Man what a storm, devastation is unreal!!

- classy post, ghemry

Quick Reply: Devastation...................and a little doe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.