Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Estrous lure

Old 10-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Estrous lure

AS you know the rut is coming soon in a few weeks. Someone recommended me to buy estrous lure to attract buck to your bow kill range. I am nervous to use this lure to spook the mature buck?

Should I buy "Code Blue whitetail standing Estrous" which it costs approx $35-$40.. That bottle contains 'Peak' estrous urine from a STANDING Estrous doe.

Or what other brand? Tink 69? Any recommended? I am thinking of using to drag a rag saturated in estrous lure to pull deer into my bow range..

Thanks
Old 10-16-2006, 11:14 AM

Default RE: Estrous lure

Hunt the does.

That's my advice.

Nothing beats the real thing.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 AM

I forgot to add;

I read an article recently that shed some light on estrous lures.

The majority of the lures on the market are estrous urine. Estrous urine doesn't evoke the hormones in buck's that causes them to want to reproduce. Mainly, its a curiosity scent.

Estrous vaginal secretions are what causes a bucks hormones to kick in and is what makes them chase does.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup Dan ...

When a doe comes into estrus she secretes a specialized pheromone that dissipates in a matter of minutes, this pheromone can not be bottled. If it could..deer hunting as we know it would be ridiculously easy. Your basically getting a bottle of deer urine...that might have been collected when the doe was in estrus, but the pheromones are absent... the only true best bet would be a live doe in heat as Dan eluded to.

With any deer bottled urine, you then must take into account the breakdown process of all protein based urines... Fresh urine smells much different than broken down bottled urines.. Dissect a fresh urine sample from a harvested deer. Smell the urine for yourself, compare it to your bottle urine.. Imagine what a deer's nose would tell them...

Good Luck
Old 10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

I've tried several different estrus brands with ok results. So last year I picked up some of the code blue standing doe to see what it was all about and had the best results of any of the others I had tried in my area. I still have some left and will be using it again this year and would buy it again.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:50 AM

There are at least three componets of true estrous urine.
1.)Vaginal secretions that drip into the urine when urinating
2.) the urine containing phermones and other chemicals that signal the bucks that the doe is approaching standing estrous
3.) subaceous gland excretions that are release when the doe pees over her hocks.
All of these together makes for a potent mixture that lures most bucks in;
The key here is to find a source for this urine product and make sure they refrigerate the product and add NO preservatives.
We have found a source with Southern Whitetail Scents although we must wait until their does go into heat sometimes in late October. We have used their Hyper Heat product ( freshly collected doe estrous) and have harvested some really nice bucks in the last two years.
I don't know of any does that would be candidates for collecting estrous urine prior to Sept 1st of the current hunting season. So, all products claiming to be estrous products that are bottled prior to Sept 1st of the current hunting season are last calender year's urine! And if they are not refrigerated they have to have preservatives addes which change the integrity (smell) of the urine making itnot as good as fresh!
www.southernwhitetailscents.com
Old 10-17-2006, 08:03 AM

I believe you should listen to pdaddy if you want to learn something about scents because everything he said is true. I think he knows alot about deer peepee.Also I think that the best way to kill a buck during the rut is hunt around the doe bedding areas, my spot this year will be a sunken road between two doe bedding areas.