Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Decisions, Decisions...

Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Default RE: Decisions, Decisions...

There should only be three people besides myself hunting this property.

My dad, the neighbor, and the neighbor's daughter.

The neighbor and his daughter both hunt over bait, which kind of throws things out of whack as far as feeding patterns go. They mainly hunt the late afternoons/evenings.

So the pressure during late archery is really light compared to most places.

I think I ran into a bedding area on saturday while out doing a bit of scouting with a friend of mine. We were following a trail that had some old rubs (really old) below the ridgline that we have a stand set up on. We were about 50 yards away from a point where if we were to walk directly up the side of the hill we would run into my stand when we jumped (what we think was) a doe.

Last december three bucks were camped out in the deadfalls on the ridgline that my stand is located on. The reason I think they were there (now) is that they could scent check the thermals rising up from this lower bedding area while being able to see the opposite ridgeline and the bedding area below.

Here are a few pictures from the stand;

The first picture shows the dead falls I mentioned.

If you were to head straight in that direction you would run into the thick brush we jumped the doe in.

The top of the hill, trails leading down the ridgline.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, I think that I would hunt the November hunt. I agree with Shed, there may be bucks still in the mood searching for that last doe. If you were down here in the south I would take the later hunt just for the hopes of the coldest weather. Let us know what you decide.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, with your situation, and that little bit of pressure in there, I would go the last week of November. Our oldest bucks over here across the border show themselves in daylight pretty well that last week here if the pressure isnt too bad. Pressure in my opinion is the #1 obstacle any of us face..

I am sure you'll be perched on some well traveled doe routes...best of luck..the does will be in or have been covered that time of year...good luck..

Troy
Old 10-16-2006, 01:36 PM

Sounds like I'll be taking the last week of November off then.

Thanks for all the advice, hopefully I'll have a few pictures of a dandy buck to post.