Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I spook this buck for good?

Old 10-15-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Did I spook this buck for good?

Around Noon today, I decide to talk a walk with my 9 yr old daughter to go take a look at the digital trail camera. After about 10 minutes into our slow walk down the trail, my daughter says "Dad, there's a buck". I think it is just another one of those deer comments, kids say.

I then look over in the direction she is pointing and there stands the 10 point, about 60yrds. This is the same deer I have pictures of last month on the digital trail camera almost in the same area. He then kinda bolts off with the flag up... What an experience for my daughter to see this buck and what a relief that this big boy is still alive.

My question is this....Have I spooked him good or will he still be around since the does are still hang around our property???? The rut here in Michigan will begin in about 2-3 weeks or sooner depending on weather.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did I spook this buck for good?

rut=stupidbucks=deadbucks hope that answers your question
Old 10-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

He'll be there, especially when a hot doe brings him buy. Fear not, he wasn't in real danger and not gone for good.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, you did. You shouldjust sit this season out.

Trust me, deer know threats in the woods. He's been standing there all year watching retrieve your pics. When you set foot in there hunting it will be a whole different story.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

This one incident is probably not enough to make him change his routine. Better to have spooked him with your daughter along while you were merely taking a walk. Deer live around humans, they have to. They see non threatening humans all year long and thats what you were on this walk. Now, if you spook a mature buck from your tree,the only way he comes back past that tree is if a really hot doe leads him past it. Otherwise, your busted for the season with that buck in that tree.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:18 PM

I would say he will be cautious in that area. Is there alot of human traffic there? If so, then I would say you might be ok. If not, they you have to hope that he isnt that spooked. If he is, you might have to wait for the rut and him to make a stupid mistake

Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

He'll be around. Good Luck!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 PM

This should answer your question, 4 yrs ago on opening day gun season. The biggest buck i ever killed came by my stand. I shot it and he showed signs of being hit. I waited about 45 minutes. Got out of my stand and went about 100 yds. Spooked him back up. small pool of blood there. Could not get him another shot on him. Two days laterhe came back under the same stand at daybreak looking right up at me. I killed him this time, got down to him and seen thatI had blown the tip of his nose off the first shot. I too figured i would never see him again. But he came back!