Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a difference location makes on mast....

Old 10-15-2006, 11:48 AM

Default What a difference location makes on mast....

My home hunting grounds are in the East Central part of the state, and folks, there are just very few acorns on the ground this year. Very stark contrast from last year.

I also hunt a farm about.......80 miles south of here, and the white oaks are probably MORE prevalant than last year. I mean, you almost have to wrap your ankles to keep from twisting them! The reds and blacks aren't dropping at all, but EVERY white oak down there is just littered with them....

I wonder what the deal is with that? What a difference a little southernlongitude makes...man.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What a difference location makes on mast....

Up in the NE part of MO (where I hunt, around Atlanta), it sounded like it was hailing in the woods there was so much mast dropping. White acorns and hickory nuts mostly.....
Old 10-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I could say that. We have some Red Oaks dropping but no White Oaks at all. The ones that are dropping aren't doing it in my hunting areas at least.[&o]
Old 10-15-2006, 03:43 PM

mobowhuntr, where are you at in Missouri? I may try hunting some around Stockton Lake next year. I can rifle hunt Kansas and Missouri that way.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:47 PM

I am about......60 miles directly west of St. Louis....Look me up though, we can work something out maybe.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I know where my stands would hang, deer love white oaks over most all other food sources. If there is a tree dropping them, they will be there.

My property here is all red/rock and black oak trees, a ton of acorns or as you southerners pronounce it, akerns here.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:21 PM

Mobowhntr, The difference may be attributed to the fact that White Oaks create acorn mast every year while Red Oaks only produce acorns every other year. On the property I hunt we have a lot of White oaks and you have to be careful not to break your ankle while walking in the woods. In fact yesterday while stalking the doe I shot with my flintlock, those little acorns were killing me while I was crawling into position to get a shot.