Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When it gets cold...

Old 10-14-2006, 06:36 PM

Default When it gets cold...

OK, I am on a quest to stay warm without bulk.I have a good set of Thinsulate bibs and a parka, and believe you me they are warm, but the parka is way bulky. Bow strings don't like it.

So, tell me exactly what layers you wear to stay warm in the cold weather.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:48 PM

Default RE: When it gets cold...

I thuink your going to get alot of this so i'll say it first underarmour cold gear I use it in football and its great!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:00 PM

Wear some of the thin base layers in polyester, or like under armour cold gear. I usually wear that layer first, then a dark t shirt, then a fleece type button up the front shirt ( low fleece not big and thick ) , and then a light hunting coat. I never wear a Parka type. I have found the bulky coats rub against trees, my bow, my stand..you name it, and make noise. Even if it is a hush hide type.

But one thing you really need to make sure of is how much clothing do you need to stay warm. What many people have not figured out is that they wear too much, and the reason they get cold is because they are sweating inside the base layers and that makes them cold. Another reason is because they put all their clothes on then head out on the long walk to their stand and that makes them sweat.

I have actually had problems with my feet getting the coldest, until I figured out I was wearing too thick of socks, coupled with a good dose of thinsulate in the boot lining. I actually have started wearing a different boot with only about 200 - 400 grams of thinsulate, and a thinner synthetic material sock, and when I get in the stand I actually have my boots off about half the time and I don't have that problem anymore, because my feet do not sweat.

But anyway, the idea is to wear more layers ( thin ) instead of 2 layers of a shirt and a big bulky parka. But find out what works for you. Try going outside your house at night and sitting down for a while ( like you are in a stand ) and wear different amounts / materials / layers and find out what works. That way you can be ready next time you go to the woods.

Good luck , Good Hunting, and God Bless
Old 10-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

that's some really good information MT, thank you.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Yup, wear layers, nothing should be cotten.I like buttons and zippers soI can regulate my temperature. The only pullover is the base layer. I have hiked in to my duck hunting spot in 10 degree darkness with no hat on, waders folded down, and jacket open to keep from sweating. Make sure you have your head and neck are well insulated.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know. We don't often have cold weather. If only.....
Old 10-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be using underarmour cold gear and a nice wool sweater under my scentlok dakota suit. One thick pair of wool socks under my rubber hunting boots. And most importantly is your head and neck. I use a warm camo ski mask to keep my head and face warm.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

This morning I tried a vest over my three layers and under my camo. It worked for me, I have always had issues with the cold.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't get all caught up in this "Under Armor" craze. It's a great marketing ploy. You can buy the half price whicking undies and get the same service and wear. Layer it up. I will go as far ast 3 layers of the stuff. A light weight, a midweight and maybe even a layer of smart wool undies. I like BLUE UNDIES for a base.[8D][8D] Anyway, then if need be I add a wool camo set(light to midweight camo) If it's fridgid, I'll put another wool shirt or light jack shirtunder that. Layers layers layer. I agree, those big bulky thinsulate type jackets are bulky bulky bulky. AND... they aren't as warm as a few light layers. When it really dips I start adding balaclavas of various weights, hand warmers, toe warmers in my inserts etc. I feel a lot more free in 5 layers than I do in a big bulky coat. I'm never cold and I've been in a tree in subzero weather.... except for my left foot. I just can't lick that problem without toe warmers and I hate them because they're too hot.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:38 PM

I would love to get a wool sweater, but don't they have to be dry cleaned?

Quick Reply: When it gets cold...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.