Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When it gets cold...

Old 10-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: When it gets cold...

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Don't get all caught up in this "Under Armor" craze. It's a great marketing ploy. You can buy the half price whicking undies and get the same service and wear. Layer it up. I will go as far ast 3 layers of the stuff. A light weight, a midweight and maybe even a layer of smart wool undies. I like BLUE UNDIES for a base.[8D][8D] Anyway, then if need be I add a wool camo set(light to midweight camo) If it's fridgid, I'll put another wool shirt or light jack shirtunder that. Layers layers layer. I agree, those big bulky thinsulate type jackets are bulky bulky bulky. AND... they aren't as warm as a few light layers. When it really dips I start adding balaclavas of various weights, hand warmers, toe warmers in my inserts etc. I feel a lot more free in 5 layers than I do in a big bulky coat. I'm never cold and I've been in a tree in subzero weather.... except for my left foot. I just can't lick that problem without toe warmers and I hate them because they're too hot.
I don't give advice anymore. You're on your own.
That's alot of good advice, you old softy. [8D]
Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I would love to get a wool sweater, but don't they have to be dry cleaned?
They do make wools that are preshrunk and don't have to be drycleaned. HOWEVER, I find those too bulky and too heavy. I buy light weight to midway wool shirts. Only they outside layer is camo. You can get them from a number of places. I buy them roomy. I dry clean them once a year at the end of the year. The rest of the season I put them on at the truck and take them off when I return. I spray them and stuff them in waterproof float sacks. Every once in a while on a nice day I go ahead and hose them down or maybe even wash on gentle in a cold wash. I then hang them outdoors and let them air dry. They'll shrink some but not a lot and once you've done it a few times they're good to go. I still have serviceable wool shirts from 10 years ago. You don't have to dry clean.... you just can't wash them in hot water or dry them. I don't care if they're pretty, just warm.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:24 PM

Thank you, friend.Is there a particular "brand" you prefer, or place you prefer to get them? Cabelas?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't get all caught up in this "Under Armor" craze. It's a great marketing ploy.
BULLDINKY Under Armour kicks @$%![8D]

30 degrees yesterday morning with 17 mph winds and gusts around 30-35 or so. Getting pelted with grapple every now and then. I had my under armour on, a mock turtle neck, and a medium weight jacket . Nice and toasty. Oh I would strongly recommend getting one of those under armour hoods too. All I had on my head was the hood and a thin leafy face mask and was warm as could be. Beats the heck out of wearing 15 different hats and masks to keep your head warm.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:38 AM

Don't get all caught up in this "Under Armor" craze. It's a great marketing ploy.
I actually looked for the cheaper version of this material and was unsucessful. So I ended up buying the Under Armor. I thought I would try just wearing the under armor and my hunting clothes the other morning. I was colder than I wanted to be.

Tomorrow, under armor will be my base layer with cotton/polyester thermals and then my hunting clothes.

The only other thing I have to work on is keeping my feet warm. Thats the worst part about hunting in the cold.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Under Armor, Scent X, 2x long sleeve t-shirts, Scent Lok Savannah light coverall, No-Scent fleece waterproof and windproof jacket. This keeps me warm down to about 25 degrees or so. If it gets colder, I wear the same, plus pack in a insulated coverall and put on and take off at the stand. I never hike with the insulated coverall on.

With all that said, today I looked at the realtree roadtrips and dream season suits.............those things are fantastic. I really wish I could get them in a more open pattern, they may be the most functional clothes I have seen yet and they are super quiet with scent blocker and water and wind proof.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Mobowhuntr...I just bought a 100% wool sweater from Cabelas. (The fisherman rib crew $45) doesn't have to be dry cleaned. You can hand wash it. They do sell a different one that must be hand washed. I never tried wool before but I'm looking foward to wearing it in the cold.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I just buy wool shirts out of LL Beam, or woolrich, or somebody. I picked up a light weight set of wool camo about 10 years ago from woolrich that's great. I don't see it anymore. The pants are 20 oz and the shirt 15. Here are some that would work under your camo. Anything from 9 or 10 oz to 15 won't bulk you up too much. Buy it big enough to layer. You can also get light weight wools from Pendelton. These in the link are washable.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0022572942019a&navCount=1&podI d=0022572942019&parentId=cat601740&masterp athid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat4700 76-cat601740&catalogCode=UG&rid=&parentTy pe=index&indexId=cat601740&hasJS=true

I have a heavier weight one in Forest green that's great too. I picked up a midweight Jack shirt from woolrich too that's good for moderate cold with my undies layered and my advantage camo wool outside. The only thing I should add is some type of windstopper shirt layer.

More I know nothing about
http://www.bizrate.com/menspants/material--wool/products__att259688--267483-__keyword--camo%20pants.html
Old 10-15-2006, 03:31 PM

david, contrary to popular belief, you are a GENIUS!! Thank you buddy!
Old 10-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use Polartech from Cabela's,this stuff is real warm. I always use those Grabber desposable hand warmers, they're awesome and some of them last 24hours for those all day hunts!

Quick Reply: When it gets cold...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.