Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Hunter wants to know what time to be in stand for evening hunt?

Old 10-14-2006, 06:05 AM

Default New Hunter wants to know what time to be in stand for evening hunt?

I just started deer hunting. I work alot and sometimes I can't get out of work as early as I want to. How many hours prior to sunset are you guys getting in your stand? Is there a time where you say it is just too late and you don't want to spook deer?

Thanks,
Pierce
Old 10-14-2006, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Hunter wants to know what time to be in stand for evening hunt?

If I'm just hunting an evening, I will be in my stand no later than 2:30PM. I like everything to be nice an tranquil.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:41 AM

It kind of depends. If you don't have to jump through too many hoops, and you can get in the stand an hour or hour and a half before dark, I would go. The last hour in my area is often productive, so that would make me want to be there, but if you can't get in your stand and get settled in before the deer move in to your hunting area, it would be better to not go, or to settle for having a ground blind on the way to your stand to hunt in so you don't bump the deer or alert them to your real stand site.

The bottom line:
You don't want a audience of deer watching you walk in and climb your stand. And hearing you make a bunch of noise in that core area.

Good hunting and God Bless.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to be in stand near 3:30 or 4:00 pm ,but I have gotten there as late as 5:00pm and still been in good shape for the rest of the eveining .I've also seen deer as early as 4:00 pm roaming around in the wood's .

nubo
Old 10-14-2006, 08:06 AM

Good Question. Know the deer in your area due to scouting. Next yearif you prepare better by scouting you will know exactly what time is too late to be walking to your stand. When Rut comes all bets are off to the times the deer are moving. I shot my first deer 8pt(Gun Season) at 3:45 in the afternoon without sent control or even being quite. He was in a rut stupor. Made me happy though.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

No later then 4:30.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the weather, how hot it is. I've been getting in the stand between 5 and 5:30. Early in the season like this, I rarely see deer before 6:30, usually more like 7 to 7:30.

During the rut, I try to be there anytime I have time, morning or evening.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Usually around 3:00pm is what I've always heard. In fact, this afternoon I'm going to head out myself (had a ton of errands and household stuff to do this morning).

Butch A.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

It kind of depends. If you don't have to jump through too many hoops, and you can get in the stand an hour or hour and a half before dark, I would go. The last hour in my area is often productive, so that would make me want to be there, but if you can't get in your stand and get settled in before the deer move in to your hunting area, it would be better to not go, or to settle for having a ground blind on the way to your stand to hunt in so you don't bump the deer or alert them to your real stand site.

The bottom line:
You don't want a audience of deer watching you walk in and climb your stand. And hearing you make a bunch of noise in that core area.

Good hunting and God Bless.
I agree. Most of the movement I see is later in the evening.....about the last hour or so of light. Many times, the last 30 minutes of light. Usually pick an ambush point near a food source and catch them moving towards it.
Most of the movement I see in the morning ends around 10am. I can't tell you how many times I've hunted all day and not seen anything move between noon & 5pm.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

I try and get out there 2 hours before sunset, more if I can swing it. But if crap happens and I only have an hour to hunt, I will still try and get out there and hunt! The first and last hours of the day are high percentage times of seeing deer.

Quick Reply: New Hunter wants to know what time to be in stand for evening hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.