Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

Old 10-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Default why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

Well, since opening weekend sept.17 ive only missed 3 deer and wounded one that i didnt recover.[:@]I don't get how i cant hit a deer. I can hit the bullseye everytime on a target but in 4 years of bowhunting i sadly have 1 kill and 10 misses. not impressive at all and i feel terrible about it. i justcant keep my composure together or something. this is getting expensive. im going to need to buy my 3rd pack of broadheads soon.what the heck do i do so i can make a killing shot on a deer? I just dont get it.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

For starters how far are you shooting at these deer? Limit yourself to a 20 yardbroadside shot until you've bagged a few.

Also, are you getting real bad buck fever? Alot of times guys will "forget to aim" in the heat of the moment. They're just flinging arrows. Relax, take your time and most of all PICK YOUR SPOT on the deer. Remember to follow through. Don't watch the deer, watch the SPOT your aiming at until the arrow hits. You're probably dropping your bow arm and looking to see where the arrow hit.

Also, if you don't already I'd suggest using a peep sight. Without a peep it's too easy to come to the wrong knock point in the heat of the moment, especially with a facemask on.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont look at antlers just behind the shoulder is the best peice of advice i have ver heard
Old 10-13-2006, 05:56 PM

im limiting myself to 30 yards but i dont usually take a shot until they are 20 yards. I forgot to mention that i missed 2 within 20 minutes of eachother tonight. I do get terrible buck fever and usually hit high.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

what kind of bow do you have?

reasoning for me asking is because maybe it doesnt have a solid wall and you are drawing it back just a tiny bit farther than when you are shooting at targets.Its amazing what adrenaline can do.and by the way if you have that many deer and need help hitting them gimme a call
Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

concentrate on a spot
but think about sex
always works for me
once i get that little edge off i perform much better
Old 10-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I was the same way. You have to try to remain calm. The biggest mistake for me was I had a terrible habit of dropping my bow arm to see the arrow better. BIG MISTAKE, you HAVE to FOLLOW THROUGH!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you should just spend some time watching the deer for a while without taking a shot. The more you get used to having deer around you the less buck fever you will have.

I get the fever too but I've practiced so much during the summer that it's almost automatic even if I'm nervous.

Also, do you have a 3d target? I would take a 3d target into the woods and set it up near your treestand where you think the deer are going to be. Practice with your hunting clothes on and with your broadheads. (Hell leave it there for a decoy if you want to). While you practice, mentally rehearse as though it were a real deer. Make the first shot count.

Speaking of broadheads.... I'm sure you've done this....Have you actually sighted in your bow with the broadheads you are hunting with? Do they fly exactly like your fieldpoints?

If you're broadheads are dead on than it's just mental. Take deep breaths and pick your spot and follow through. You'll get em....
Old 10-15-2006, 04:09 PM
cas

"I do get terrible buck fever and usually hit high.
"

Do you practice on the ground, but hunt from an elevated stand?
Do you practice with your broad heads?

Aim low?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:11 PM

The adrenaline is difficult to control. Experience is really the only thing that will help overcome it, and a will to improve. Just remember to breath....very important....IN......OUT........IN..........OUT... .....

Quick Reply: why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.