Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

1 Spot the deer, get into position for a shot.
2 PICK A SPOT ON THE DEER YOU WANT TO HIT.
3 Draw bow, anchor and start aiming at your quarter sized spot.
4 Start squeezing the release while you're aiming.
5 keep aiming until the arrow is in the target (your spot).
6 Follow the for as long as you can.
These are good points!
One other thing is?"Practice like you hunt" If your hunting from a tree? Practice from a tree.
Use a 3d target and shoot by yourself just like it is the real thing each time you shoot.
Move the target around into different positions and keep practicing!
One other thing is? Forget about the deer you have missed!
It sounds as if you are thinking about missing before youeven draw you bow.All these missed deer will build more and more pressure on you. Forget about it!Focus and stay confident untill the arrow hits it mark!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I tend to just take two deep breaths before I even stand up to shoot. Then when I'm standing, TAKE YOUR TIME!! I have missed deer before becuase I think that they will run off so I rush the shot. When you pull back just before you shoot, make sure your everything is right then "shoot to exit" Put the arrow where you want it to exit. That is how i have always been taught! Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like your going to hurt yourself or someone else. Get it together or get out of the woods before an accident happens. Harsh words I know, but something tells me your name is going to be involved in the list of hunter accidents soon.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is insomeone's signature, but "aim for the exit hole" is a great one. Basically, you said it already, you need to gain your composure. If the next time you have an opportunity you cannot control your emotions, don't shoot. You'll just hurt another one or bury a braodhead in the dirt. You have to figure out a way to shoot at a deer like it is a target. There is time for excitement after you make the shot.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:46 PM

practice with you hunting jacket on and headnet on and all of your hunting gear. make sure that your bowstrign isnt hitting your jacket and make sure you are putting your kisser in the same spot with your mask on.... if the string hits your jacket you may need do something to make it not hit it.. cuz thats probably whats making you miss
Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 PM

Lots of good advice. I also had to kill a couple of does before I was able to focus on getting a nice buck. Also I do think it's a good idea to spend time in the woods.Hunt in aarea with lots of doe activity, practice drawing on does (without shoting) it will help you get more comfortable.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM

"It's just a target, it's not a deer."
My big problem when I started was that I'd pick the spot, concentrate on it and release, BUT I never focused on the sight! Now I draw back, focus on the pin I want, THEN pick the spot, aim and let the shot happen.
Repeat after me: "It's just a target, it's not a deer."