Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

Old 10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

ORIGINAL: Copper31

It sounds like a little touch of the fever. Shoot at small game with your bow. My dad wouldn't let me shoot at a deer until I was able to kill a grouse or a rabbit or something. The other thing I would suggest is doing some stump shooting. Walk through the woods at a pretty good clip. If you get your heart rate elevated then this will simulate an adrenalin rush. Then start shooting at stumps. See a stump pull up and shoot. It will help you learn how to steady yourself and get it together. Good luck
Do the arrows come out of the stump? Sounds neat.

Tom
Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, when you're excited, it's easy to grip the bow tight. That can throw a shot off, too.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: statjunk

Do the arrows come out of the stump? Sounds neat.

You can just get some blunt tips. I have already used field points and just unscrewed the points if I couldn't get them out.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: isatarak

Also, when you're excited, it's easy to grip the bow tight. That can throw a shot off, too.
And bend at the waist. That will make a difference when you are on stand.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we all started out that way . I still get buck feaver today after many years of hunting , I think everyone does . Two peices of advice Ill give you .

1 , instead of going deer hunting imagine yourself squril hunting , the squril lives in the chest or midel of the deer thats in front of you , your not trying to hit the deer but are trying to kill the squril

2 , slow down , dont rush yourself to draw or aim or release , when the deer is looking down or away do all those things in slow motion , remind yourself to slow way down . follow thru is a given , try to remain dead still after the shot .
Old 10-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Besides all the other thingsI mentioned, you really MUST become the predator. I still get nervous and want to do it right, but by the time the moment of truth comes I'm in the total predator mode. I become invisible, I am the arrow, I know it's couldn't be going better. I'm alert to all the deer around me and don't draw until I know I can do it unnoticed. I have the confidence that at that moment just before the arrow goes.. I know I've won.... and it usually happens. All the time, even though I'm taking it all in, I'm aware of the spot and not much else matters. It's just automatic after a while. You just can't rush into it. There's time usually to regroup if something changes and you have to pick a different hole and start anew.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Smooth draw, loose grip on the bow,solid anchor point, half of your breath exhaled, focus on a hair, release, follow through, cut the hair. That is the list that I printed out and taped to the lower limb of my bow when I was a new bowhunter. I'd look at that list sitting in treestand, go over the shot of how it was gonna happen before I even sawa deer. You'll smoke one...
Old 10-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Like many have said I think most hunters have this 'fever' at some point. What I have found worked best for me was to have a routine that I do once I know Im going to shoot a deer.

First I "talk to myself" this gets my mine to another place other than thinkin about how my heart is racing.

I say to myself "shouting in my head"
1. ease of on the trigger
2. don't peak
Over and over until I draw

These two thingsare my downfall so this is how I deal with it. It has helped me greatly! It has taken care of my nervousness completely, and now I only start shaking and getting winded after I shoot. Hope this helps.

Good luck, you will get through it.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like fur fever....I used to get like that, a deer would come by and I'd put the pins in the general area and let loose! My heart would pound a mile a second and I was breathing like I was running a marathon. lol
Before you shoot, think about what you have to do to make a killing shot. Determine what the yardage is and which pin youmust use.

What also helps is shooting 3D tournaments. It really helps youto get over the jitters. The first time I shot at a 3D target, I got the jitters BAD. Oh my God, that deer is looking right at me! lol.... You become more confident with yardage AND shot placement.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

There is allot off good advise here!

Its allot like target panic in target shooting! How allot of guys get over that is changing their release style, and, or holding on a target at full draw and not shooting. Do that over and over untill that panic goes away!

I always would draw and hold on every deer I wasn't going to shoot... That might help!

Quick Reply: why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.