Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

Old 10-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

I thinkI have the answer to your problem....Treestand shots are very different from ground shots...you should practice out of the treestand... and compensate for the deer duckin the arrow
Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, it's hard to say, but with that many chip shot misses I'd say it's a combination of things. For starters, PICK A SPOT and stay with it. Aim below the center line. PICK A SPOT. If you start getting nervous as the deer comes in, simply close your eyes and take a couple deep quiet breaths. If you're still nervous, do it again. You lock on your spot and burn a hole in it. You already have your bow in position, you draw smoothly but quickly, you lock on the spot... you're on it... BUT...before you release that arrow look the sight picture over and take the time to ask yourself, is this the picture I want? I'm still on the spot.... the picture is good and somehow the arrow goes almost by itself. You aren't done yet. Switch out of your slow motion frame of mind and let your mind race faster and faster. Watch the deer, follow him, left of the bush, right of those two trees, over that log by the double tree until you can't see him anymore. Lock on the last spot you saw him and listen. Analyzise the spot he disappeared. What's distinctive around it I can easily find when I get down. Burn it in your mind. As you decend the tree keep looking over at that last spot. It'll change as you descend. It may and probably will look totally different from ground level. If you loose it, climb back up and do it again. First thing you'll do when you reach ground is check the arrow if it's there. If there's blood you should track it, remembering all the markers you noted as he ran. I'd say your prime problem is probably rushing the shot and I'd be willing to bet you can never remember what the sight picture looked like when you let those arrows go. Just slow down, close your eyes if you have to, see the spot, keep the bow up when you release until you see the arrow go through the deer. On the range we all practice perfect posture and form. In the tree it's usually not always that way. I'd be willing to bet you've got a death grip on the bow and inducing all sorts of torgue into the equation. The form has to be natural. Do you practice enough for it to be that way or are you a quick the seasons coming lelt me sling some arrows.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stop shooting, let the deer mill around you for a while and get used to having them close. You are losing all composure and missing. FOCUS, concentrate and aim for a tiny spot not the deer. Remember your form, bend at the waist.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think QCQ and Kamil have given you the answer's that you need to fix your problem. Hunting from an elevated treestand take's lot's of practice ,it become's very easy to drop your bowarm when shooting at your target .Being elevated make's you not want to bend at the waist thinking you may fall . I've had this problem it's happened to me .
Bend at the waste and keep your bowarm straight . That's the trick to making an accurate shot
One other thing is when your aiming at your deer or what ever you may be hunting you have to visualize where you want your arrow to exit ,this meaning you want to aim a little lower on your target . you want to aim where you want your arrow to exit .I hope you aren't confused by this and it sound's weird ,but it is the way you can assure success next time .

nubo
Old 10-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Well, it's hard to say, but with that many chip shot misses I'd say it's a combination of things. For starters, PICK A SPOT and stay with it. Aim below the center line. PICK A SPOT. If you start getting nervous as the deer comes in, simply close your eyes and take a couple deep quiet breaths. If you're still nervous, do it again. You lock on your spot and burn a hole in it. You already have your bow in position, you draw smoothly but quickly, you lock on the spot... you're on it... BUT...before you release that arrow look the sight picture over and take the time to ask yourself, is this the picture I want? I'm still on the spot.... the picture is good and somehow the arrow goes almost by itself. You aren't done yet. Switch out of your slow motion frame of mind and let your mind race faster and faster. Watch the deer, follow him, left of the bush, right of those two trees, over that log by the double tree until you can't see him anymore. Lock on the last spot you saw him and listen. Analyzise the spot he disappeared. What's distinctive around it I can easily find when I get down. Burn it in your mind. As you decend the tree keep looking over at that last spot. It'll change as you descend. It may and probably will look totally different from ground level. If you loose it, climb back up and do it again. First thing you'll do when you reach ground is check the arrow if it's there. If there's blood you should track it, remembering all the markers you noted as he ran. I'd say your prime problem is probably rushing the shot and I'd be willing to bet you can never remember what the sight picture looked like when you let those arrows go. Just slow down, close your eyes if you have to, see the spot, keep the bow up when you release until you see the arrow go through the deer. On the range we all practice perfect posture and form. In the tree it's usually not always that way. I'd be willing to bet you've got a death grip on the bow and inducing all sorts of torgue into the equation. The form has to be natural. Do you practice enough for it to be that way or are you a quick the seasons coming lelt me sling some arrows.
Most important part of the shot along with a smooth release. Keep aiming until the arrow hits the ground. Jerking the bow to the side to see the arrow hit, throws the shot off. This is called anticipating the shot. It must be avoided.

Make yourself up a routine. The kill shot routine, and practice it. Two things about practicing this, visual and physical. I think that it's important that you can picture yourself executing your routine to perfection. Think about this a lot, not just when you're shooting your bow. It will definately improve the physical part of your shooting. Sample routine....

1 Spot the deer, get into position for a shot.
2 PICK A SPOT ON THE DEER YOU WANT TO HIT.
3 Draw bow, anchor and start aiming at your quarter sized spot.
4 Start squeezing the release while you're aiming.
5 keep aiming until the arrow is in the target (your spot).
6 Follow the for as long as you can.

Don't forget to use the above mentioned tips as well. Make your own personal routine and modify it as necessary. Btw, breathing is an important part your routine also.
good luck.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM

Quit, nah Iam just kidding. good luck.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had the same exact problem with my dads bow when he had his sights on it but then ig ot my own bow and i have a crosshair sight and i can hit everything perfect now. Maybe try the crosshairs i love them
Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 AM

I usually count to myself to get my breathing under control. Count to myself after I draw. Just sets a pattern in your mind and calms you. Also, I agree with letting deerget into your area. I usually try to enter the woods with some idea of what I am and am not willing to shoot. That hasbrought about quite a few days of just watching does from my stand and getting used to the presence of deer, because I've made forgone conclusion it's a bucks only day. This alsostops me from making rash decisions.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heres what I do, When I draw I start at the lower part of the legt and follow that up on th ebackside of the leg and as soon as i hit the pit, I release. Thus almost always gaurenteeing a good kill shot.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

It sounds like a little touch of the fever. Shoot at small game with your bow. My dad wouldn't let me shoot at a deer until I was able to kill a grouse or a rabbit or something. The other thing I would suggest is doing some stump shooting. Walk through the woods at a pretty good clip. If you get your heart rate elevated then this will simulate an adrenalin rush. Then start shooting at stumps. See a stump pull up and shoot. It will help you learn how to steady yourself and get it together. Good luck

Quick Reply: why the #%!@ cant i kill a deer? advice please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.