Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Old 10-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Some of you have probably already seen this but I found it very interesting.

Ballistic Gelatin:

View this link to Whitetail University. Click on the green arrow to play short clip.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Here is a link to a little more info.
Fixed vs Mechanical - The Movie
Old 10-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's a thought, too.

Deer (and ANY game animal) are made up of more than just "flesh". Stick a couple of bones on that jelly and let's do another test!

Come on...who's with me?????

HOOOOooooooaaaaaaaaa!

Jeff
Old 10-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

That' a good idea. They could make one of those blocks and insert a rib cage or shoulder bladeinside. That would be cool to see.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

biggest factor...sharpness???? 2 blade vs. three blade too many variables for that test to be accurate
Old 10-13-2006, 02:19 PM

Alright, I watched it without any sound...my soundcard is MIA[] Great link, and very interesting but I have some issues with it from the get-go. 1) They're selling the grim reaper. First rule is to always ask if the researchers have a reason to be biased. 2)Do they adress blade sharpness? 3) What about bones? Even the "softer" rib. 4) If they're selling their broadhead...I want to see it tested against more than one other broadhead. Their whole point is that not all mechanicals are created equal..."ours is the best" they claim (Of course I'm assuming this, like I said, I have no sound.) So why do they test it on the principal that all fixed blades are created equal? 5) I couldn't see for sure...when they compare cutting width is the 2-blade perpendicular to the camera lens? 6)That fixed-blade wouldn't be my pick of the "best" for penetration either. And 7)does anyone else think that it looks like the fixed-blade enters the gellatin with a high tail? (Which would MAJORLY rob energy)?

I'm really not trying to start ANOTHER arguement on a horse that has been beaten to death. I just want to point out that there are always wholes in arguements for which you should look.

Yes I am biased towards fixed-blades....for nostalgia if nothing else

Old 10-13-2006, 02:21 PM

Wow, I must type slow. Three posts made it in before I finished mine...and you guys are asking the same stuff I as me.

Everyone gets a golden star!!!!! haha

Old 10-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

I say bring on "Mythbusters "
Old 10-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

good point about the bones too....seems like a grim reaper ad to me so there test are going to be biased to make their product look better(it might be) but im not bying it

Old 10-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not just that, but look at the surface area of the two heads. The fixed blade appears to be some huge cut on contact head like a Steelforce or something. The Grim Reaper has much thinner blades with much less surface area, and therefore less drag.

Not saying the test is TOTALLY inaccurate, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Quick Reply: Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.