Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Old 10-13-2006, 07:38 PM

Default RE: Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

I'm with ya'! ROTFLMAO WBFOMN!!!
ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Well this video convinced me....

Next time I hunt deer made of jello with no bones, I'll be using Grim Reapers.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 AM

Man this sounds like a good topic for MYTHBUSTERS

Old 10-15-2006, 03:37 PM
cas

(short time lurker, first post)

If you look where there arrows stop, the blades penetrate to the same depth. Only the point of the mechanical goes deeper
Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Just aint a real world test. I use & like grim reapers but in my experience they dont zip thru like a fixed blade head. Often the exit isn't where you'd think because things happen as they open. I havent used many mechs but in my limited testing on live deer Tekans come closest to fixed blade performance. I have one reaper left in my quiver & a bunch of Tekans to go thru before I need more. These heads open on newspaper, no other mech I played with comes close to opening that easy.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

This is NOT a scientific study.... it's a smoke and mirrors infomercial made by Grim Reaper. If as they suggest, mechanicals out penetrate, we wouldn't have all these videos with poor penetration lately where everyone is shooting mechanicals. I always thought Wade Nolan was a little bit the Jackass, and now I know it for sure. Nothing but an advertisement. This proves that ballistic gellitin is NOT muscle, bone and lung tissue, that's all. Have old wade try the same thing on an elk.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll keep that in mind the next time I come face to face with a block of ballistic gelatin.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:00 PM

i use the tekan 11 because i think its the closit to a fix head that flies well with my carbon arrows !!!!!! ive shot a buck last year in the spine and it did a great job on a not so great shot!!!!!!!!then this year i got a doe and got her though the bottom of the lungs and the heart great blood trail.!!!!!but i think next year i mite switch back to my alliumom arrows that shoot fixed heads great!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Not just that, but look at the surface area of the two heads. The fixed blade appears to be some huge cut on contact head like a Steelforce or something. The Grim Reaper has much thinner blades with much less surface area, and therefore less drag.

Not saying the test is TOTALLY inaccurate, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.
Justin I think you hit the nail on he head!! Thin blades, what are % ones of those breaks when it hits rib bone or shoulder?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely an ad for Grim Reapers but Ijust thought it was pretty interesting. I wish some neutral party could perform a similiar test with multiple different broadheads and perhaps something in the gelatin to simulate bone. They did state that there wasinner tube rubber around the gelatin to simulate skin, but thatmakes me think theyjust wanted to ensure uniform opening of the mechanical blades.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Spike

well well,i will stick to my thunderheads,never had a proublem

Quick Reply: Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.