Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Old 10-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Well this video convinced me....

Next time I hunt deer made of jello with no bones, I'll be using Grim Reapers.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:50 PM

Just wondering...doesn't:

less surface area = less cutting area?
Old 10-13-2006, 03:53 PM

The biggest problem with that test, in my opinion, is the fact that in a shot on ananimal the head is lubricated with blood as it passes through, whereas ballistics gel is a relatively "dry" medium that will tend to grab the blades on the fixed head. In other words, the test medium is biased towards the mechanical head.

The other issue is the amount of energy that is used by the arrow passing through the very tough skin of the animal (neglected in this test) where the mechanical looses much of its energy...

Just my .02
Old 10-13-2006, 04:22 PM

This seems to be an add for grim reaper not mechanical broadheads. They are not even close to discovering wich is better they just pionted out an obvious fact.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

good point about the bones too....seems like a grim reaper ad to me so there test are going to be biased to make their product look better(it might be) but im not bying it
Yep- sales pitch.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Talk about less cutting surface/less drag... Did you notice how far the mechanical penetrated before opening to it's full cutting diameter? At least as far as it beat the fixed blade... which started off at it's full cutting diamter.

Bring on the BS repellent!
Old 10-13-2006, 05:36 PM

Looks like an ad for Grim Reaper to me.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bunk, pure bunk. it's a biased advertizment.[:'(]
Old 10-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Seems alot like a promo for grim reaper broadheads. None of us know what they could have done to fix this video. For all we know they could have taken out the two blade and rubben it on the concrete and dull it before they shot it. And when have you seen a deer or any animal that is solid flesh. Im pretty sure that guts, wet guts, do not cause as much friction as that ballistic gelletin. Its basically like rubber. And i have never seen any animasmade of rubber. as always IKISS, and i will still stick with fixed blades. They worked the other night, and i cant complain with the penetration that i got.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:09 PM

it seems to me most fellas think the the blades opening loses to much energy. i dont use grim reapers i did change to a mechanical this season mostly because i dont have time to get my muzzys to stop drifting with my new bow. the mathews shoots great but i had to change arrows to. the draw weight is 20 pounds higher on my mathews and i have a drop away rest so i cant put much helicoil on my arrows. to late to go messing with my bow now just spent the last couple months getting it to hit the way i want. now that its on the money i aint messing with it.i dont know why i ever loaned out my other bow.

Quick Reply: Fixed Blade vs. Mecanical Video Clip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.