Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mass grunting

Old 10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mass grunting

On Tuesday afternoon, I was out in temps close to 80 degrees. Even with temps this high, deer were moving before 5:00pm.

By 5:30pm, I started hearing some bleats and fawn calls going back and forth -- and a few grunts. A little later, it started up again, but mostly grunting, coming from multiple locations this time.

I suspected another hunter or hunters, although I saw no sign of anyone else.

About 15 minutes before last light, I heard some VERY LOUD grunting coming from the power line behind me. Immediately, grunts started sounding off on either side of me. I turned around to see that it was really a buck making the loud grunts on the power line. He was grunting louder than any buck I've ever heard and doing so with every step as he walked casually along. I couldn't see the other bucks, but they had to be close by. It was just like listening to gobblers sound off to each other.

He wouldn't respond to the calling I tried, or to any of the other bucks, but he really was making a racket out there and apparently, the other bucks liked it too. I've never seen anything like it.

Anybody else ever hear anything like this?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mass grunting

I had deer grunting last weekend. I had a small buck pushing a doe around and he grunted a few times at her. Also, I heard a deer making a few contact grunts, but I never actually saw that deer, it stayed in the thicker brush out of my view. Also, my dad had deer grunting around him on two seperate occasions already this season. It seems like either they've been a little more vocal lately, or we've just been in the right place at the right time.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

4-5 years ago I was in treestand beside a large cedar swamp. I started hearing constant grunts coming from the swamp. I grunted softly back to it with no response.After awhile I figgered it was another hunter cause it really was constant. I then let out the loudest, most obnoxious grunt I could make from my grunt tube. Low and behold, a loud obnoxious grunt came back at me. Hunter for sure thinks I. A minute later an absolute monster of a buck chases 2 does by me(grunting the whole way)and didn't offer me a shot.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave,

Not sure if this has anything to do with your area, but here, right now bucks are starting to really break up from their bachelor groups, the testosterone is beginning to peak and bucks are establishing a pecking order. I watched two 2.5 year old bucks in my yard last nightunder my porch lightat about 10 pm bristle up for who had the right to the best patch of lawn I recently planted! Lots of grunts and body language going on right now... (kinda like this place in the fall!)

Over the years I consistenly start hearing/noticing the bucks getting much louder from about Oct 10th on... Turf is being established...scrape lines are being hit...in three weeks all its gonna get realbusy here... I have had real good response with a grunt this time of year when hunting next to known buck bedding area. Last year I called out and killed a good buck for my area.. 160 class on Oct 15th a coyple hours after daylight..next to his bed..I believe wholeheartedly he came to check who was invading his turf.. I used a social gruntcall, in other words I didnt want to sound like the biggest baddest buck around..instead just an average deer talking. He rolled in like the big boss man...