Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who or what?

Old 10-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who or what?

I'm selt taught and everything else. Iam the only one out of my entire family, save my granddad (God rest his soul) that hunts or has hunted. I taught myself everything I know. I like to hunt with a couple of other guys but I LOVE to hunt by myself.I hunt everything from doves to deer.My season starts with the opening of dove season in early Sept.and ends with the laste day of goose season in February.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:59 AM

I was fortinate enough to be born into a huntin family,on both sides my grandpas were trappers and hunters and cotton farmers.they started me back in 78,And i cant seem to kick the habit i would skip school just to go squirrel huntin ,or go to the lake and fish all day..And every year i make it a point to carry as many kids as can find who want to hunt ,and when they get that first deer or what ever were huntin ,i can see that fire that i had ,,and allways will. Theres nothin like it. THE OUTDOORS IS A GREAT PLACE and alot of our kids or going to miss it,its up to all of us to make sure the ones thats got that FIRE DESIRE get a chance to use it.Chances are you know someone with kids, who know nothing about hunting, but there kids have friends in school that come in every monday morning talking about there weekend hunt and what all they seen in the woods and stuff like that or showing pictures of that first deer or that pile ducks they took ,or was a part of the hunt anyway.So it never hurts to ask if they would like to come along on a hunt or fishin trip,,. and thats all it takes to get that next generation going in the right direction. THANKS AND THATS HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT..MY 2 CENTS..AIM SMALL MISS SMALL.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Dad, I was the 3 year old following him hunting and never stopped. The patience it took must have been tremendous. He can't hunt now but the stories are still as good as when we were in the woods. The one about the time I got buck fever bad and let an 8 pointer walkwithin 20 feet (I was on the ground)then he walked awaygets alot of telling.

Basically, I hunt deer and small game now.

Rockonafly
Old 10-13-2006, 08:37 AM

My mom and dad divorced when I was 6. Mom remarried when I was 9, and to an absolute GREAT dude! He's been dad ever since. Really lucked out there. He started me hunting when I was 10.

At this point, I've NEVER fired a gun. So he started me off with a BB gun. I was aiming at a tin can at let's say 2 o'clock, fired, and shot the back window out of his 1973 Bronco at 11 o'clock......I have no idea how I pulled that off.....I mean, that window wasn't even CLOSE to where I was aiming....musta ricoched.....[&:] Anyway, he never said a single word about it. Never. Now we laugh at it pretty good though. I am very fortunate to have himbecause my "real" dad is an animal loving non hunter. Not ANTI mind you, which is good.

Ironically, I've never been deer hunting with him (my step dad.) 90% of what I know about deer hunting is self taught. I've had a few friends along the way teach me a thing or two, but most of what I know I learned on my own.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I am more or less a first generation hunter. My dad didn't hunt too much, when i was a kid, but he does now. I more or less got him into it.
My grandpa instilled the love of the outdoors in me.
I hunt deer, with bow and gun, pheasant, turkey with bow and gun, squirrel, and rabbit.
WHen it comes to deer and turkey hunting, i like to do it alone. when it comes to pheasant and rabbit, i go w/ my brother and dad.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:42 AM

Yeah, my kids lucked out in the stepdaddy field too. I met my husband when my daughter was 4 and my son was 1, we got married last year, daughter now 7 and son now 4, and we have one of our own on it's way here shortly.

My ex husband is a real *winner*... let me tell ya. He is a yuppie boy, country clubber wannabe type of guy. He is NOT thrilled with the idea that my kids want to hunt, but hey, when Mommy and "Daddy" hunt, what can you expect. What am I gonna tell them, sorry, you're moron of a father doesn't like the idea... that's why *I* have sole physical and legal custody, with only visitation rights for him. My kids call my husband Daddy and they are much, MUCH closer to him than they EVER will be to their own dad. I try to never say anything negative to them or around them about their dad, but they are starting to see it on their own now, especially the 7 year old.

God brought my hubby into our lives for a reason, and I am convinced that my children, all 3 of them (so far) will turn out to be very wholesome, respectful, and well rounded adults. The outdoors has a way of teaching people about respect... He's just a super dad to them and I expect he won't treat his own child any differently than he has ever treated them... Yep, I've got a good one... and he got me into hunting too, I owe him a lot for that...
Old 10-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been out there ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I remember going turkey hunting when I was little and HATED it, because the guns were So loud it hurt my ears for a couple of days. I was probably 3 or 4. I say that because I can remember seeing my dad and my head was about to hisknees. *No, he's not a grasshopper* From there, my grandparents would take me out hunting and fishing. Seems like everyone on both sides of my family hunted and fished. I can say that I am the first generation bow hunter. I can hit the boiler room at 60 yds with a bow, but if I took a 200 yd. shot with a rifle, I probably couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. lol I'd always want to shoot a bo, but my mom always told me I'd put my eye out. lol I did finally get a little recurve when I was 12, but lost it when we moved. I finally got a big girl bow 4 years ago and my friend, who was then the bow tech at the archery shop, is the one who has really helped me to get where I am with my archery skills.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 PM

My Dad got me and my 4 brothers into hunting. I do most of my bowhunting alone during the week (when my wife lets me) and hunt with my brothers on the weekend.
Who has time to do anything but bowhunting during season? Every time I do any hunting but bowhunting I feel bad I am not in the deer stand.