Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling and grunting.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rattling and grunting.

Hey guys/gals, I have a big question to ask of you if you don't mind, well it's big to me. I have been toying with the idea of rattling and grunting but I haven't done alot of it and was wondering what your personal experiances where with it and when is the best time to do it. I have been hearing that mid to late october is the best time to start. Also I am only in my second year of bowhunting so thats why I am asking. I would appreciate any help you can offer thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling and grunting.

Well first of all welcome to the best hunting site on the web .
Now to answer your question :
Any time is a good time to do a little gunting and calling , with whatever call you use just remember three short bleats , blats or gunts and wait for twenty or thirty minutes then try it again untill they start showing up.
When it comes to ratttling :
If you have some real sheds to use that would be great ( nothing like the real thing ) you might want to cut the brow tines off to prevent injury to your thumbs and hands .
Start off light and easy as if two bucks are just sparring around for about three to five minutes , then wait awhile to see what happens .
By the first two weeks of Nov. you'll want to get alittle more intense with your ratlling like two big bucks are really going at it , so as your banging and clanging on the sheds or bag don't be afraid to get into it by stomping the ground , gunting and snorting along the way.
Remember if you want to attract them in to your location , you gotta make it sound real enough so they'll come around to see whats going on.
Good luck to you and I hope you have a sucessful season.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

RDHunter nailed it on the head, very good advice!! Good luck.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I really appreciate it and good luck to you guys and I'll let you know if anything comes of it.