Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

just got screwed out of a shot by my peep need sug. on new

Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 PM

Default just got screwed out of a shot by my peep need sug. on new

There I sat watching some squirrels chase each other at primetime, the sun was just starting to set and turned the woods that pretty color. I heard a crunch and scaned searching for it's owner. I saw the leg of a deer step forward 50 yards away the body was covered by a low hanging limb covered in green leaves. then I saw the flash of another deer following that one. While I was looking at number two, number one steped in to the open, HE was a nice looking 6 or 8. the light had faded but hislight coloredrackwas bright in the woods. i looked through my binos to get a better look but with the light fading they were somewhat handicapped.well a few minutes roll by and then ones headed for my stand she walked into clear viewat 15-20 yards. It was a large doe and the buck hadn't been seen in a few minutes and I was losing light by the minute, and I might have let him go for another year. any way The peep sight wasn't letting enough light through for me to see good, she steped out of sight. A minute later another steped out, No antlers, was it that button buck I've seen so much this season? It looked big so I drew, I wasn't sure if I'd shoot or not. same crap with the peep. It steped out of sight. ten minutes later I was about to get down when I heard somthing coming, it was the buck. If the peep sight wasn't giving me crap I would ofdrilled him. so now I bummed and lookin for a new peep, suggestions?

what peep should I use for ultimate low light preformance. there are many on the market but I don't know which one is best so pleas give me some imput. thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 07:54 PM

Default RE: just got screwed out of a shot by my peep need sug. on new

Can you drill out your current peep a little bigger?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like it was too dark regardless. I have a Super Peep, it's a metal peep with threads to screw in lenses for scope shooting. Anyway, with out the apatures it's quite large. I've been able to see my pins and not see the animal, that's too dark regardless. Perhaps try drilling out your peep.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd suggest the Shurz-a-peep 2x2 Super Hunter. Huge hole, almost big enough to fit one of my Fletcher TruPeeps through. But you can definitely see through it during the last half hour of legal light.

Ifsomeone has to pass a shot becausehe can't see light through his peep,but it's plenty light enough to count the points on the deer's rack... That just ain't right.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Just tie in a standard 3/8 peep.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try the No Peep...I have used it for about 4 years now and I loooooovvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeit.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Spike

Shoot bare string. I'm amazed by the number of people that don't believe you can shoot a bow without one. Never used one and never plan on it. The purpose of a peep is to make sure you anchor in the same spot everytime or else you can't see through the peep. A kisser button and touching your nose to the string can accomplish the same thing. You'll never have to worry about not seeing through a hole with fading light.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

Yep, What he said. No need for a peep if your anchor is solid and you use a kisser button. When the pro shop guy turned me on to this 6 years ago I thought he was out of his mind. Half a dozen shots later and I've never used a peep again. One less thing to worry about, shoot just as well as before and light (or lack thereof) is not a problem.

ORIGINAL: Rod1210

Shoot bare string. I'm amazed by the number of people that don't believe you can shoot a bow without one. Never used one and never plan on it. The purpose of a peep is to make sure you anchor in the same spot everytime or else you can't see through the peep. A kisser button and touching your nose to the string can accomplish the same thing. You'll never have to worry about not seeing through a hole with fading light.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 AM

Teach yourself to be able to shoot around the peep for low light shots. You do this by starting close and put a piece of electrical tape over the peep hole. Draw it back and look at it. Mine has a very small flat spot on the side. This is exactly even with the hole. I put the pin as close to the left side as possible and center in on the flat spot. For my situation, my bow will hit 7 inches left at 30 yards by using this shoot around technique. I have practiced it hundreds of times. I have also taken a 120 class buck with it. Now don't do it if you get buck fever. If you are not thinking 100% clear you will not adjust for the shot and you could gut shot it, depending upon which way it is facing. This technique is very similar to shooting without a peep like the previous hunters do, you just have to adjust the shot.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see the target and my pins through a peep if I open both eyes. Are you a one eye or two eye shooter?

If you are a two eye shooter and couldn't see then I would agree with others that it was too dark to shoot anyway.

BTW - It is very difficult for me to shoot with two eyes, but it works.

Tom

Quick Reply: just got screwed out of a shot by my peep need sug. on new

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.