Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broke in the switchback

Old 10-11-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Broke in the switchback

It was Monday, been busy havent had time to post my success, and it was a nice day calm wind and somewhat cool temp. I was settled in my stand somewhere around 430. about one and a half hours later, i decide to close my eyes and check my eye lids for cracks , i also did it because it seems that whenever i close my eyes for a few minutesi always see deer within 10 minutes of reopening them.....funny how it works. Anyways so i close me eyes for tops of 5 mins, open them and low and behold a fawn is 15 yards away, i watch her as she slowly works her way to my right and finally out of my view, it was nice to just watch the deer. So i get all optimistic after first seeing her in hope that momma is right behind her. But after another hour i begin to get restless and once again resort to closing my eyes. This time i had them shut a for only a few minutes, i reopen hoping to see deer, but none. However, 5 minutes later from the sourthwest i see 3 does making b-line towards my stand. The lead doe was the biggest, although there was anotehr close to her size, and the last one was a lil smaller than the others. So i have my eyes on the biggest one. She walks to my small pile of apples that i had, she ate one then walked 10 yards from my stand. Then i velieve the wind shifted [:@], and she became very suspicious. As soon as i saw this i began to draw as she appeared to be about to turn away. I come to full draw and then she starts to slowly head away. I grunt to stop her, doesnt work. She is walkingvery slowly, slow enough where i did not think it was enough to make my arrow miss by a whole lot if i compensate. However as i decide to shoot and am pulling the trigger she quarters more and speeds up [:@]. Needless to say the arrow hit father back than i thought it would, and i was not a happy camper. Anywho, i waited 20 mins, went down to point of impact just to get a glimpse of any blood. None, so i scooted out quietly. Taking Robs, recovery tips to heart i was ready to wait till the next day to track, however the weather overnight and early morning seemed sketchy with the possibility of rain so i decided to wait till 10, 3 hours later, when my buddy gets out of work. So i call him and tell him the situation. So 10 comes around, i had been a nervous wreck up till then, and was ready to get tracking. So there wasnt blood right away, and i was getting nervous. Then i got in the right track, thankfully, and see the first drop of red greatness. "Blood" i tell my buddy. so we begin following the trail. Well, we follow for about 70 yards, and the trail ends in a small opening with trails going every direction. Upon further examination, my buddy sees her about 20 yards up and under some brush! I was so happy and surprised to find her so close. After examining more though, with the angle of the shot, i ended up getting a lung and the guts with the shot.I had broken in my new switchback, shot could have been better but due to following robs recovery instructions, i was able to recover her. The moral is to read his instructions, and always error on the side of safety if you think the shot is bad. I was lucky, but never give up, you may be surprised.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Broke in the switchback

ot could have been better but due to following robs recovery instructions, i was able to recover her. The moral is to read his instructions, and always error on the side of safety if you think the shot is bad. I was lucky, but never give up, you may be surprised.
First, congratulations on breaking in the Switchback and then well done for doing the right thing. All to often our emotions cause us to track too soon and that's never good when it comes to bumping a deer.

Now I must say that I cannot take all the credit and I want to give kudos to everyone that participates and adds to that thread. It's there to aid everyone from begining to experienced and I find myself rereading it myself looking for others tips that might aid me one day. I've written that thread through alot of experience and a lot of reading from great members such as the ones we have here.

Great job and another successful recover not because of shot placment but because of doing the right thing after the shot. Congratulations again.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:35 AM

good job!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:12 AM

WAy to endure to the end!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Great job!! Gotta love it when you get your first blood on a new bow!!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Great job!

I post on my NC board......and I swear those guys don't have a *&%#^$* clue as to how to track a deer. I don't claim to know, either......but I've learned from one mistake.....and I know HOW TO READ!

They don't seem to understand that thei deer will be JUST AS DEAD if they wait. There's even guys there touting pushing the deer and keepin it moving in EVERY instance. I swear it's really disheartening.

Again, though.....congratulations on a job well done!!

Jeff
Old 10-12-2006, 07:36 AM

Congrats