Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The "dead spot" theory revisited

Old 10-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Default RE: The "dead spot" theory revisited

I shot my buck right there last week and he started goin down with in 20 yds.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM

What are you talking about deflected. If the picture is real..>That arrow is burried up to the fletching on an angle that would make that a dead deer walking. If it deflected, that fletching should be be way up.

He's probaly sitting back laughing at people debating it. I'm laughing with him.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:40 PM

The arrow in flight picture is definitely not real. Where is the green fletching at as shown in his target?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Also looks like its wraped in orange arrow wrap and looks like a doe to me.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to see the video not a still from it. But at any rate the wound seems to be healed in teh second picture. As I'm understadning the story, it seems like this took place all this season. Doesn't add up to me.

Anyway there is no void. A lot of hunters confuse this "void" with a shot above the spine. (of course not in this case).

Believe it or not, the belowdeer was reported to be spined (don't let the front leg forward cloud your judgement, it was hit further forward then it looks because of the front leg), I believe though that it was the lower part of the spine:

Take a look at this skeleton so see how low the spine comes down in the forward portion of the deer and remember that there is about an inch of meat past the upper part of the skeleton:

Old 10-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

my guess, its fake. way toomany things just dont add up.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that's a crock of poop!!!!
This statment pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, I agree with some others- given the steep angle of the shot, the hit looks to be too low. Second, I also agree that 1 lung-shot deer can live for a long time, or even survive the hit completely.

In my experience, only a double-lung hit, heart shot or hit on a major artery will anchor a deer quickly 100% of the time. I've recovered 1-lunged deer, but I've also watched a fair share of them run off, never to be seen again.

One hunting experience of mine really enforced by belief that 1 lung hits aren't lethal 100% of the time. 2 years ago,a bowhunter hit a huge 12-pointer that ran off onto our property. He came and talked to us and asked us to keep an eye out for it. Later, during gun season (about 6 weeks later) a gun hunter shot that buck. The original bowhunter identified it as the same deer, and the part of the arrow was found lodged in its chest- in 1 lung, but not the other. No other vital organs or major arteries were hit. The archer thought it looked like a perfect hit, but because the angle of the shot, it barely missed the second lung. After 6 weeks, the deer had lost some weight and didn't look 100% healthy, but was still alive.

Just because you shoot a deer through the chest, it doesn't always mean that you're going to find the deer dead 50 yards away. Deer are very tough animals, and the only way to be sure 100% of the time of anchoring a deer is putting a good, sharp, broadhead through BOTH lungs, the heart or a major artery.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

its not fake, and even if it is, i have seen deer get shot in a lung and live, heck on tv i saw a duck get shoot through the head with an arrow and it lived... its possible wether thats fake or not.