Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The "dead spot" theory revisited

Old 10-11-2006, 03:39 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The "dead spot" theory revisited

There is no dead spot in the chest. The lungs fill the entire cavity. I'm not sure if a deer has an incomplete mediastinum (tissue layer around the heart that separates the chest into two compartments) or not. If it does not then a single lung hit will not affect the opposite lung. People and animals live through a pneumo all the time but only if it is addressed. Tell the whole story.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

I thought maybe it was a deflection...that scar looks pretty wicked for just that.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:07 PM

I know an avidbowhunter who not only guides LOTS of hog hunts every year, but kills more hogs in a year with a bowthan most hog hunters will kill in a lifetime... He takes the meat and donates it to needy families in his area, butchers it for them and all.

At any rate, hestronglybelievesthat not only is it possible, but probable for a hog to survive a single lung shot with a bow, and to put them down reliably you must punch both lungs. He claims to have butchered numerous hogs with a dark necrotic mass fora lung due to aprevious arrow wound. Now granted, I haven't seen it myself, but I can think of few men as knowledgeable about hogs and archery gear than this man, and he is absolutely trustworthy.

Where does that put us on this deer? Once again, I don't know, butI have seen enough odd events in my life to know anything is possible, and it is not unreasonable at all to believe a deer COULD survive a wound like that.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Photo shop. I hit most all my deer broad side in that very spot. They dont run far with out a heart and two lungs. Besides, to not get a pass through, or atthe least the arrow burried up to the fletching would mean they were shooting a toy bow, or throwing the arrow. Im not buying it. Ive shot loads of hogs and deer in that very spot and never had one run more than a 100 yards.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think that's a crock of poop!!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

According to the Bowhunter ,He did get a pass through burnie! The exit hole would solve this mystery. He may just get this deer before season ends....
Old 10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody's a critic and yells Photoshop. This guy's a highly regarded member on TBH, has pleny of kills and has nothing to gain by lying about it. Grow up guys.

Strange things happen every now and then. I suspect that the shot angle was steeper than we can tell and the arrow went out the botom of the chest getting ony 1 lung, but I don't know for sure and neither do any of you.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

Strange things happen every now and then. I suspect that the shot angle was steeper than we can tell and the arrow went out the botom of the chest getting ony 1 lung, but I don't know for sure and neither do any of you.
I agree. The shot seems angled forward,(and the shoulder is WAY forward) so it would miss the heart. I think it exited between the deers legs. Carbon arrows really flex(assuming its carbon, but aluminum bends too), so you just cant draw a strait line in from that shaft in the middle of impact. It might have clipped a lung, maybe even just went through the brisket.
Also, the deer's shoulder moving forward(tensing) may have pulled that outside part of the arrow forward so it points more strait in?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry, just checked that forum, no blood on the shaft, just fat: deflected into the brisket. no lung at all.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Im not saying hes lying but it can be done with Photoshop,it only took me 5 minutes,i can make it look even better.

Quick Reply: The "dead spot" theory revisited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.