Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Holding short Bow Steady...

Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 PM

Default RE: Holding short Bow Steady...

Add weight in the form of a stabilizer?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found that if my draw weight is too light its actually harder to hold steady. Increase your draw weight by 5 pounds and see what happens.

Another thing is proper draw length. Too short gives too much arm bend which means you're using the small muscles of your arm instead of the big muscles of your back and shoulders to keep the bow arm steady. Too long is bad too.

Also, do you use a stabilizer? The added weight of a stabilizer will keep your bow steadier while aiming. A heavy bow is easier to hold steady because of inertia.

Finally, do you use a peep sight? How large is it? Do you center the pin or the round pin gaurd? Make sure you center the peep sight perfectly every time. If your peep is too large it will affect accuracy at longer distances especially. I really like using a round pin guard and a peep that is just large enough to center the pin guard.

Also, how big is your 40 yard pin? Try a .019 instead of .029 diameter pin for your 40 yd pin.

Don't worry too much. You're still shooting very well at 40 yards IMO.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:13 PM

gzg38b- Thanks for taking a few minutes for such an analytical response.

***What about both limbs being unscrewed the exact distance? Major thing to worry about? I didn't realize once the entire circular part was turning and didn't mark a spot on my bow, just on the bolt and the circular thing. Long story short I cranked them both all the way back down, marked the bow and bolt, and backed them off again the exact same # of turns.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:54 AM

about checking to see if the level is level, what I used was a big 3 foot long level and put it against the flat edges of my bows riser and then adjusted the sights bubbletill it matchedthe level held against the bow.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.