Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Primary Scrape Area

Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Primary Scrape Area

There has been several post on scrapes. I myself have used mock scrapes in the past, and been succesful. After reading serveral books I have learned a ton about scraps.

I know we all seesome scraps on the edge of fields, I pretty much ignore these. I do not know how many timesI have seen a 1 1/2 buck make these along the field. I try and find primary scrape area, this is spot where the mature buck feels "safe", this is his kitchen. I do not look for in Oct or Nov, I look for in in Feb and March after the season. I then set the stand for next year. I place the stand about 40-50 yds away and whereI think the buck is going to enterhis area. I do nothunt this stand until I see the rut has started. Iknow when the rut has started when I see a big boy on the move in daylight hours. I have had good success in using this tatic.

What does a primary scrape look like? In general they are back in the woods near a bedding area. 12-15 circle with 3 or 4 large scrapes. I also tend to find some really nice rubs in the area. The buck spends alot of his time here. If you find one of these you are in his kitchen. I tend to find them in the same area every year.

Not saying this is fact, just sharing what I do

Good luck
Old 10-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Default RE: Primary Scrape Area

When you say primary scrape, are you also meaning communal scrapes?

One that not only one, but several deer are active in using?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

No this is his area, he is the dominant buck. Doe's will come to this area.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my opinion, most if not all scrapes are used by more than one buck at some point in time, during a given season.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like his bedroom and not his kitchen.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: early in

In my opinion, most if not all scrapes are used by more than one buck at some point in time, during a given season.
What is your defination of "use"?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Makes sense to me..thanks for sharing.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I pay little attention to the bucks to judge the rut, I pay attention to the does tarsal gland, the darker they turn, the more sign the rut is coming into play. Bucks are always ready, seeing the matures ones during daylight hours certainly helps, this means they are up and looking but they do that in their summer pattern, no rutting activity there..lol

Very interesting and great tip Germ. I should get out there in Feb/March and pray that particular buck is around come the following season, not likely in PA.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I pay attention to the does tarsal gland
That is a good tip thx!!

When I say up and running, they have to have that crazed look in there eye and be a dominant buck, LOL

He has to be big!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM

ghemry- From what I've seen and read, I think you are absolutely right. I found primary scrapes in mid september this year. According to the land owner, the same deer has been scraping the same area for 5 years. My father-in-law got up close and personal with the buck last week. Unfortunately the buck made him out and bolted before he could get off a shot(wasn't wearing predator camo). He counted atleast 10 pts and said the deer is over 200lbs. Not bad for a SC deer.

Quick Reply: Primary Scrape Area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.