Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow rest noise....Seems I'm not the only one...

Old 10-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow rest noise....Seems I'm not the only one....

I have two answers for you.

If this were well in advance of the season, moleskin would probably be a good idea. It completely silences the sound generated by the arrw sliding across the rest. I used it for many years.

However, since the season has likely begun nearly everywhere, you probably aren't interested in re-tuning everything. It WILL slightly change a few things.

The next best choice is waxing/polishing the arrow rest and/or the arrows. Several coats on the arrows or the rest or both will also take care of the sound without the need to re-tune. You'll want to do this at a point where you can allow several days of "airing out" to take place before going hunting again. The wax smell will linger a few days. Just don't do what I did -- I had put my last coat of polish on my arrow rest and went back inside to give it time to dry, fully intending to remove it the next day. I was IN THE WOODS, HUNTING when I noticed it still there!!![:@] Didn't seem to matter to much though, I killed a real nice doe after I wiped it down!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Now that you have it figured out Jeff, go get that deer from last year. It'll be more rewarding now that you know he's smarter.
I'm not so sure I DIDN'T!

Jeff
Old 10-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff,

The reason I use a drop away rest is for how quite they are. Put some moleskin in the rest and you are all done.

I make sure everything is dead quite the best I can.

I also use Carbon Express Terminator Hunter Select arrows, because of the Buff Tuff coating they have. No need to was or oil, already very smooth and quite.

Gary