Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tips for avoiding buck fever

Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default tips for avoiding buck fever

I still get jittery even when a doe comes to within bow range, I can't imagine how bad it will be when I have a good size buck 30 yards broadside.[&:] I know that concentrating on the point of impact (and not on the antlers!) helps out somewhat. What are some ways you all try and overcome buckfever long enough to get a good arrow shot?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:13 PM

Default RE: tips for avoiding buck fever

I always get jittery at the first second I see a deer. But then as they move close, I know its time to get down to business and get ready for the shot. That part kinda comes natural for me. Then I'm fine. But after the shot I;m on an adrenaline rush all over again.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot a bunch of deer.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Practice and repeatition shooting, know in your mind you've made the shot a million times so just do it. I've shot so many arrows over my life now and in competition that when I draw my bow it's all mechanics, I am nervous before the draw and...I do however come unglued and shake the leaves of the trees after the shot. I hope I never loose that.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find that my mind gets so occupied in preparing for the shot that the jitters go away until after the shot. In those seconds prior to the shot I'm focused on my target and trying to anticipate it's movements to know when I will draw my bow and then take my shot.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a mess once the deer comes into range. If I tell myself to settle down and think about what I'm doing, I can control it until after the shot. Then it starts all over again. After I killed my first big buck with a bow I sat in my stand for 10 mintues even though I knew the buck was down 50 yards away.

If I lose this feeling, I don't think I will want to hunt anymore.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Experience. Being that close to deer over the years will help.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 PM

Remember to breathe!
Best if you breathe thru your mouth.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stop watching the idiots on TV who have planted that little seed in your head on thats how your sposed to react when you have a deer in close.

If you get the shakes when you have a deer in range what the hell ya gonna do when you have a 2k Buffalo @ 10 yards and your on the ground with nothing but a bow.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't get that ( buck fever ) when I'm shooting at a doe but its a diffrent story when Mr. Big Buck shows up .
I still get a little shakey when I'm at full draw on the buck , seems kinda of wierd but it still happens to me , I just try to settle myself down long enough to make the shot good.
Taking a deep breath and holding it when I'm at full draw helps , most of time I'm sitting down when I shoot but the times I'm standing I'll try to brace myself in some way to keep steady.
Its just one of those things each and every hunter has to over come in there own way , some hunters never do get over it no matter how long they have been hunting.

Quick Reply: tips for avoiding buck fever

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.