Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

buck stuck out of range

Old 11-12-2002, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default buck stuck out of range

I was out hunting tonight over a field with a doe decoy. The field is about 40-45 yards across and a buck was at a scrape at about 50 yards. He hit the scrape and then keep on walking at about 50 yards. I tried the ptimos can call a few times and he stoped and took a couple steps forward and came with in about 40 yards and keep walking so I did the can call again and he stoped and looked but he wouldny come in he stood there for about 5 min. Then he started walking up a hill and I tried the call again but he didnt stop so I tried my grunt call and he came back down a little bit but then he just went over the hill. I have seen him before when I didnt have a decoy in the field and he just went up the hill. I want to know how to get him to come in.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:24 PM

Default RE: buck stuck out of range

There is no sure way of knowing if this buck will ever come in. If he is always following the same patterns when he is seen chances are the rut has not kicked in yet. When the rut comes closer im sure the decoy and the can will get his attention enough to bring him within range.
However there are no definites in hunting. Stick with it you will get him.

Kill em' Wide and High!!!

Steven J. Collins (Trock63)
Bowdaddy Productions