Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite Deer Steak Recipe?

Old 10-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Deer Steak Recipe?

Mojo Criollo marinade by Goya is very good. You can find it in the Spanish section of the super market.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not known to be a big fan of venison, but I eat every bit of what I shoot. I have tried everything and the best way in my opinion is to first trim ALL fat and membrane from the meat, slather it in Wishbone Italian dressing and cook it to medium RARE on the gas grill. I had some the other night and it was great. Cooking venison in a skillet on the stove is a waste of energy. Remember... NEVER over cook it.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I soak the cut up venison in Pet milk overnight, flour and season (I use Zatarain's Creole seasoning and steak seasoning) and fry till it's just right....I think medium well is best, I don't know why medium wouldn't be ok. Everybody says my fried venison is great!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

do you just put it on a plate and put the dressing all over it or should i put it in a bowl? also would you wait until its thawed or go ahead and put some on it frozen
Old 10-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

do you just put it on a plate and put the dressing all over it or should i put it in a bowl? also would you wait until its thawed or go ahead and put some on it frozen
Throw it in a bowl, even frozen and cover it with dressing or enough it's marinating, let it thaw if frozen and enjoy, enjoy! If froze, give it a few more days, about 2 or 3 but cover with a lid or plastic wrap it so it doesn't dry out.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:45 PM

I would try to put it in as small a bowl or container possible. You want the marinade to coat it pretty good.

My favorite way to make steaks is to either grill them or broil them under very high heat in the oven. The latter rocks during the cold Minnesota winter months.

My favorite marinade (for backstraps,tenderloins, and steaks)is as follows:

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup dark beer
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced garlic (you can get this pre-minced in a jar)

Just whisk everything together and put totally thawed venison in it for 24 hours before cooking.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thaw it in the microwave on a plate. I then rinse them off, put them on the plate andjust dump dressing on it and throw it on the grill. Some people leave it in the fridge in the dressing for a few days but I don't see the need. I have found that leaving it in the dressing for days will actually make the dressing overpower the meat. If your venison has been frozen for a month or more it is perfectly safe to eat almost raw, so cooking it medium RARE is no problem. I think medium well might be OK depending on the individual cut but the more you cook venison steak, the harder it becomes. Always trim the meat completely, leaving NOTHING BUT MEAT. The tallow fat is where the gamey taste comes from the most.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

What I do is take a backstrap medalion and butterfly it to where it is about 1/4-1/2" thick then I will douse the steak with olive oil on both sides,I then like to rub this steak down with "Emerils steak rub"I know I spelled his name wrong ya know the "BAM" guy.I then sear the steak on both sides for a couple minutes on the grill.If I don't use Emerils I'll still use the olive oil then use garlic powder, cyanne pepper,black pepper salt,and a pinch of oregeno .Try it you'lllove it.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I was watching the BBQ cook off on the food network and the winner was a couple from texas and I tried there recipie and it is really good, here it is.

1 C pepper
1 C salt
1 C sugar
1 C garlic salt
1/2 C dry Mustard powder
1/2 C Paprika

I use it on everything but chicken for poultry subtract the sugar,
Old 10-08-2006, 07:04 PM

My favorite wild game marinade:

I don't really measure any of these, I just go with what I feel at the time.
(approximately)
1+ cup-Red wine vinegrette dressing as a base
1/4 cup-Panola jalapeno sauce (it's not hot, it just tastes great)
1/4 cup yellow mustard
4-5 dashes of worchestershire sauce
couple splashes of soy sauce
1-2 TBspn honey
1 TBspn black pepper
2 TBspn minced garlic
1 large yellow onion (chopped)
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
sometimes I'll throw in a few pickeled jalapenos (sliced) to spice it up.

Mix all this together and marinate meat for as long as you want.

If I'm cookin a roast, I'll season the meat up a little with whatever I feel at the time, then I'll puor the marinade all over it (usually in the container that I'll be baking in) and then mabe throw in some baby carrots and taters. Put it in the frig for a day or so and then bake it (covered)at 275-300 at least 4 hours. Most of the time I try to let it go 6 hours at 275. Also for wild roasts, you might want to add 1/2 cup water before baking.

Okay, now I'm hungry.

Quick Reply: Favorite Deer Steak Recipe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.