Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHOSE BUCK IS IT??

Old 10-07-2006, 10:55 PM

Default WHOSE BUCK IS IT??

ok guys...heres the deal.. last year our hunting group had a little situation and im just wondering who should claim this deer.

we were putting on a deer drive during archery season and a beautiful 8 pointer ran out to my first friend...Note: it was running full speed.. he took a shot and hit it in the hind quarter.... the deer then proceeded to run to the next person.. who then shot it in the neck and killed it on the dead run.. in your opinion whose deer is this... im not going to post who clamied the deer i want some opinions first..
Old 10-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHOSE BUCK IS IT??

First, I don't agree with shooting a deer on the run with a bow or firearm for that matter. However, The guy who killed it with the neck shot should claim the deer.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll agree with goherd1111

I wouldn't take a running shot ether , and the guy that made the killing shot should claim the deer.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:45 PM

I would say the guy that hit it in the neck should claim it................but they should both stop shooting at running deer!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:04 AM

Same thing happened to me during rifle season 3 years ago. I was on a rifle lease and a guy had his son hunting in a stand on the other side of the property from me. He shoots at a buck and hits it in the foot, puts a crease right above the fronthoof. 20 mins or so later here comes a buck behind my stand across this huge feild. I too shot him in the neck because he was comming right at me and that was my best shot. He was only walking though, very slowly too.
Anyway, long story short, this was the biggest buck his son had ever seen, a nice 9 point about 125-135 inches-ishand his son was going in the military in a year so I let the son have the buck.
I think as did, they that the person who killed the buck is the rightfull owner. They left it up to me as to who would claim the buck and I choose the son and I don't regret it to this day.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:31 AM

Definitely the neck shot, but agree on bad shot selection on the run.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

Gee tough call the guy that shot a running deer in the as*, or the one who actually killed it. Of course it has to be the on that had the more expensive bow and if the deer is still in dispute then a game of rock paper scissors should determine the rightful owner.

Mitch
Old 10-08-2006, 03:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

The killing shot claims the deer, a gut shot or anything like it doesn't claim even though the deer will die eventualy. Of course common sense should prevail if the the gut shooter wants to get frisky with ya, let him have it, the deer that is. It's insane what happens when a question of who's deer it is pops up. It brings out the worst in people like I have never seen.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that the killing shot takes the deer. Second guy should get it.

Had the first guy hit it right...it would have never made it to the second guy.

Archery deer drives??? I've done 2 man drives, but are you talking about a lot of people? It seems that ANY shot would be at a moving deer.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

The rule for bow hunting is the first lethel shot with a trackable blood trail gets the deer.
I know this is generally different with gun hunting,which isthe shot that puts it down get the deer.

Quick Reply: WHOSE BUCK IS IT??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.