Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A simple reminder/tip to everyone out there

Old 10-07-2006, 08:50 PM

Default A simple reminder/tip to everyone out there

Hey guys, after sitting in my stand this morning in the nice 34 degree weather I got to thinking that I should add a post that I don't remember seeing....

When your in stand keep in mind to stretch every once in awhile to keep your muscles from tensing up, especially when the temps start dropping! I know that you have always been told to keep still in your stand, but just stretching your arms and legs every 15-20 minutes will make a world of differance. The major thing you will notice is that keeping your arms limber will make it much easier to draw your bow back when that trophy (buck or doe) steps into your shooting lane at 20 yards and stretching your legs will give you a more stable stance to shoot from!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A simple reminder/tip to everyone out there

Good advice BM. I know I run the risk of spooking any nearby deer but I will actually slowly stand, look around and stretch. I probably spend equal time between sitting/standing.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember when I was a kid bowhunting. I was in a permanent stand on a cold October evening. I'd been there for quite a while, when a nice buck finally showed up. I could not get my Bear Whitetail bow drawed back.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:05 AM

Great advice
Old 10-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Great tip Magnet. I was recently diagnosed with a blood clot in my left leg, and guess what it was attributed to!! Sitting as still as possible for long hours in my stand. 5 days at the hospital on anti-coagulants, now 10 days of shots in the belly, and 6 months of taking blood thinners, before I can get the all clear from the doc. For those who aren't farmiliar, if the clot moves before the body can re-absorb it, it can easily kill you. So listen to Magnet. Scan your area before you get up, and you wont spook anything. Beats what I'm going through, at age 38.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is good advice and the older you get, the more your body needs to stretch....and more often. I can sit still in my stand for 15 minutes and my knees begin to ache, maybe my back is feeling it, arms ache. I change position or stand/sit ONLY after a slow 360 deg. scan, then do everything in slow motion. I've been busted 22 ft. up in a tree by a distant deer by making a quick move.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:06 PM

Holy crap Ultra! I thought you would say you were in your 50s or 60s. I sometimes sit for long hours at work, then jump intostand and sit for hours more. What were the symptoms that led to the diagnosis of your clot? I'll be 39 in a couple weeks.