Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Friend drops an 7 point, Axel gets a run.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Friend drops an 7 point, Axel gets a run.

I was in my treestand this morning when I heard my cell phone vibrate. I immediately smiled because a high school friend of mine said he'd call me if he'd smacked a doe so Axel, my Wire Hair Dachshund pup could track it for training. I answered the phone as I watch several deer. He said not only had he smacked one, he said it was a buck. He said it's not his best but with his daughter hunting for the first time this year he wanted to tag out so he could take her small game, turkey and sit with her when it's rifle season.

I climbed down out of my stand around 10:00, still with deer around, that brings up another thread next. I ran home, changed, grabbed Axel, his tracking collar and headed to Blaines cabin. I met him there and we jumped in the mule and headed to where he was in his treestand. (Note: Blaine saw his buck when it went down and since he recovered/saw it die it is then legal for training/tracking) When we got there we went to where the buck was standing and Blaines arrow was in the ground. He made a perfect shot and the blood trail was very good, very easy for Axel, he ran it right to the buck.

Here's a picture of Blaine and his buck:

And Axel on his prize:

Old 10-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Friend drops an 7 point, Axel gets a run.

He he... how do you eat a deer for a little fella like that? One bit at a time...

Cute pup; congratulations on his first successful tracking job with a freshly killed deer at the end.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to your friend Rob. That's a nice lookin' buck. I especially like the brown patch on his forehead. Just seems to stand out over the rest of his coat.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

ROB CONGRATS WISH I HAD AN OPPORTUNITY FOR SIMILAR TRAINING RUN FOR MY DOG THIS YEAR CONGRATS TO YOU AND AXEL
Old 10-07-2006, 08:16 PM

Make sure Axel gets an extra treat tonight Rob. Thats great that he got some work today. And of course congrats to your buddy too that's a good looking Buck.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice way to start off the official deer trailing. He sure seems to enjoy his job.lol
Old 10-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome!! i really hope that law gets changed. didnt you say it was in the process?? any info yet?? i want to start training my 6-7 year old 100lb(yes hes about 45lbs overweight) pitbull. shouldnt be too hard to train let me tell you he loves the outdoors and running and all that! (honestly he does..we have a BIG fenced in back yard...he runs ALL day..chases the redsquirrels and trees them like a coonhound..chases the bunnys...chases the birds etc..and just runs around but wont shed a pound lol) i do hope the law gets changed..be a VERY good thing. a service id pay for. ill request Axel and Rob make the trip to my spot to help me recover the monster buck...even though i made such an excellent shot it dropped in its tracks..i just want to meet Rob and Axel! lol.

are they trained to tug at the rear like that?? kinda like a drug dog barks and paws where the dope is??

that last pic is priceless lol. he knows thats his buck!!

tell your friend congrats!! thats a beautiful buck
Old 10-07-2006, 08:53 PM

Thats awsome Rob, tell your buddy congrats on a beautiful Pennsylvania whitetail! The dog looks like a champ, I love the last pic as well.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

Way to go with the dog training buddy!! Tell your friends congrats on their finds. HCH
Old 10-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job!! Nice dog.

Quick Reply: Friend drops an 7 point, Axel gets a run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.