Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about getting busted

Old 10-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Question about getting busted

I was bow huinting this morning at a place where I saw a 10 and 8 pointer run from the other day. This was my first time hunting this location.I had my bow hanging on a tree hook cause I figured I could see or hear if a deer was coming. At 7L30 AM I spotted my first shooter ever within range...a doe. I quietly but quickly grabbed my bow and nocked an arrow. I was just ataching the quixk release when...she was now within 10 yds and looking straight at me. She SNORTED real loud and continued for snorting for 100yds. Would it be worth my while to hunt there again this evening. It's 30 miles away??
What do you all think??
C7
Old 10-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about getting busted

If my hunting spot was 30 miles away, I'd be huntig all day hunts, that's for sure! But if you can, you might want to give it a day or two to hunt there again.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

well dont put it on a hook and keep you arrow nocked, i keep mine onn my lap ready to go at all times
Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah....I feel really bad right now. Would it have been akay to take a straight forward shot. She was litterally standing stright at me at no farther than 10 yds. Would a chest shot ofkilled her. I'm shooting an old Darton set at 65 pounds and my groups are coffee mug .
C7
Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Don't attemp head on shots with a bow. Chances are you wont' get the penetration required or if you do, you will only get one lung and have no exit hole, which means you will not have a good blood trail to follow. Wounded and most likely will loose that deer if the shot is taken. With a rifle, shoot away if you like. Bow hunting... wait for a broad side or quarteing away. Aim for the exit hole.

As for getting busted. I really don't know. Myself, I would give the property some time to rest. Its not good to over hunt a stand anyways. Hope you get one of those bucks Chuck. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

thanks fellows.