Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

Old 10-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

.............. BUT, from all the posts lately I have considered giving it a shot again. I've been hunting for 20 years and never had an accident falling from a tree (knock on wood). I hunt mainly ladder stands that are easy to climb up, easy to climb down, and big platforms to stand and do the irish jig if you wanted to. I've always wondered how I would ever even fall out of a ladder stand.

Anyway I've come to realize that my thinking probably isn't right. Like so many posts have stated anything can happen. I have a wife and three boys that don't need to live the rest of their lives without dad because he fell 15 feet from a tree. So I'm going to try and start wearing one again.

My biggest problem and reason I don't wear one is I can't shoot my bow with the dang thing on. Seems like the tether strap is ALWAYS in my way. If I have to turn to the right or the left the thing binds me up.I have enough to worry about when a big buck is in front ofme than to be climbing under or over the tree strap so I can draw my bow. If I put the strap lower on the tree I can't stand all the way up. If I put it higher on the tree I hang myself sitting down. I'm assuming others have noticed this as being a problem. How do you deal with it?

My other problem is, I think it's more dangerous putting the strap around the tree everytime you sit. Pitch black in the morning with dew on the platform and you have to stand 15 feet in the air hugging a tree to strap the harness in, instead of just climbing up and plopping down.

I am NOT promoting not wearing a harness. I think it's great and everyone should. I just find them irritating and tough to hunt with. Anyone have any suggestions I'm all ears.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

And extra teather length and screw in a eye hook if it's that big of a deal.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had the same or similar experiences with harness's.I always wear a belt and I use a prussic hitch and rope to stay connected all the way up the tree and hooked up while I am attaching my belt.I also have once again decided to wear a full harness,I bought a seat of the pants harness a couple of weeks ago.Like yourself I am hoping that it is not as cumbersome or gets in my way as much as the one I had used in the past.I have never been concerned about falling as I am always attached,it is that hanging upside down thing.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:34 AM

So far I can not make yourself wear a full harness, however this is the first year I am wearing a belt harness. I have it set up so if I fall I will be hanging directly over my stand. That is to say not a whole lot of slack... It's the only alternative to wearing a full harness and with a 6 week old I really don't want to take the risk of wearing nothing at all.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:36 AM

I must admit, I agree with most of your complaints. I cant really stand wearing a safety harness either. Then again, I cant stand the thought of being dead, so I deal with it.
If it bothers you THAT much, go back to the ol belt style safety harness....just make sure you have enough steps up high where your stand is so you cant get down if there is a situation!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:41 AM

i have one of those vest, It is a harness but inside a camo vest, So you just put on your vest put the buckles together and then take your leg starps and buckle them, No feed the straps trhew the things to tightin them, The legs starps look ust like car seat belts, Just click them in, Its very fast and i have no problem with it.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:44 AM

There is no excuse even remotely close to being good enough not to wear a harness. I had a big fat juicy doe walking by me last year and when I went to draw my bow I couldn't because my arm was stuck in my harness. That never happened to me before so I wasn't expecting it and it resulted in some creative fumbling in the tree that day.......

Was I mad when it happened??.......you bet. BUT I was mad at myself for not realizing that if I turn and face the tree that could happen. Now I know better and set my rope up higher above my head......problem solved and most importantly I am safe. Problems with a harness are ones you can LIVE and learn from........problems without a harness are ones you don't. I can't think of anything I want to do less then spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

The part I never understood is why guys say that a harness slows them down too much so they don't wear one............What??? Gotta just be an excuse people make up because wearing a harness MAYBE makes my climb 1-2 minutes longer..............MAYBE. My life is worth way more then that. It is absolutely insane to risk your life over saving a 1 minute getting into your stand.

I'm glad you are gonna wear harness now..........I am from western ny and would hate to read about you in the outdoors section of the Sunday paper.

Be safe and good luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

The hunters safety system is about the most comfortable safety harness on the market. If you don't like the belt systems try this vest system it is very nice.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

8 Tines said it all!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

There is no excuse even remotely close to being good enough not to wear a harness. I had a big fat juicy doe walking by me last year and when I went to draw my bow I couldn't because my arm was stuck in my harness. That never happened to me before so I wasn't expecting it and it resulted in some creative fumbling in the tree that day.......

Was I mad when it happened??.......you bet. BUT I was mad at myself for not realizing that if I turn and face the tree that could happen. Now I know better and set my rope up higher above my head......problem solved and most importantly I am safe. Problems with a harness are ones you can LIVE and learn from........problems without a harness are ones you don't. I can't think of anything I want to do less then spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

The part I never understood is why guys say that a harness slows them down too much so they don't wear one............What??? Gotta just be an excuse people make up because wearing a harness MAYBE makes my climb 1-2 minutes longer..............MAYBE. My life is worth way more then that. It is absolutely insane to risk your life over saving a 1 minute getting into your stand.

I'm glad you are gonna wear harness now..........I am from western ny and would hate to read about you in the outdoors section of the Sunday paper.

Be safe and good luck.
Just got hung up in my harness drawing on a doe last week. I was pissed, but still no way I wouldn't wear one while in my stand.

Shane

Quick Reply: I can't stand wearing a safety harness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.